3 ~ The Dress

Cara spent the whole morning shopping in central Edinburgh. She tried to stick to the little shops off the high street, and managed to pick up bits and pieces of souvenirs for family and friends, but had no luck in finding a dress for her date.
The date with James McAvoy.

She squealed at the thought.

After stopping in a small café for lunch, she turned onto a small side street and discovered a small boutique filled with beautiful dresses. From cocktail dresses to evening gowns to wedding dresses - everything that anyone girl could wish for.

And that was only the window display.

Cara virtually sprinted into the shop, and walked around for a good minute or two admiring the beautiful clothing.

Then a small woman a similar age to Cara (presumably the owner - as there was no one else in the shop) walked over and smiled politely.

"Hi there, can I help you?"

"Yes please - I'm looking for a dress for a date. I want it to be formal, but not like a gown - and short, but not too short. Sorry, I'm rambling! Just excited I guess," Cara laughed.

"No worries - I completely understand your situation. This is a first date I take it?" the woman replied and Cara nodded.

"Well I can pick some dresses out for you to try on, the changing rooms are just round the corner there - " she pointed, and Cara hurried over, putting down her bags and taking off her jacket.

"Do you have any other specifics? A colour perhaps?" the woman called as Cara tied her hair into a loose ponytail so it wouldn't get in the way.

"Er, no I don't really mind I guess," Cara called back, and the woman grinned as she walked over with some dresses. They were all equally beautiful, and exactly the style that Cara was looking for.

"Wow, they all look fab! But I didn't even tell you my size!?" Cara laughed.

"I guess I just have a knack for these things - plus you're about the same size as me!" the woman smiled.

"Oh please," Cara laughed "You are way thinner than me! Look at you - model material!"

"Well thank you very much, but I could say the same for you!" she laughed with Cara.

"I'm Cara, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lauren." she said, handing the first dress to Cara.

It was a strapless black dress and came just below Cara's knee. She tried it on, and stepped out of the changing room booth, turning infront of the mirror.

"You look absolutely gorgeous." Lauren grinned, and Cara laughed.

"It's the dress that's gorgeous!" she twirled again, and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Hmm, I think I'll try the others."

Lauren handed the next dress to Cara. This one was a red bodycon dress with short sleeves, and it came down to her mid-thigh.

"Now this one I like!" Cara grinned as she twirled infront of the mirror.

"Very sexy," Lauren giggled as Cara continued to twirl.

"But I think it might be a bit too short..." Cara looked again at herself in the mirror.

"May as well try on the last one!" she grinned, and Cara picked up the last dress that Lauren had picked out. It was a tight-fitting white dress with sleeves that came to the elbow. It had a black trim on the ends of the sleeves, and at the bottom of the dress, which came approximately mid-thigh, the right side was cut diagonally, revealing a bit more of Cara's left leg. It also had a thick black trim - matching the sleeves. Cara stepped out of the booth and turned in the mirror. She was no Delevigne - but even she could admit that she looked great.

"If you don't get this dress I am getting it for you I don't even care." Lauren said, and Cara laughed.

"Yep, this is the one." Cara was jumping up and down with excitement.

"Where have you been all my life!?" she yelled at the dress, laughing and still jumping.

Cara rushed back into the changing booth and put her clothes back on, clutching the perfect dress as she came out.

"I would like to but this dress please!" she grinned, passing it to Lauren who walked up to the counter.

"It would be my pleasure to sell it to you!" She laughed, and tapped the till.

Cara paid for the dress and also bought a small black clutch that Lauren had suggested.

"Thank you so so much!" Cara said as she picked up the rest of her bags and headed for the door.

"No, thank you!" Lauren laughed and waved as Cara left.