23 ~ Deep Breaths

"You what?" Rose questioned, not quite believing what she'd just heard.
"I think. That my water. Just broke." Cara said calmly inbetween breaths.
"Okay. Deep breaths." Rose quickly switched into 'I've-watched-enough-episodes-of-call-the-midwife-to-know-exactly-what-to-do' mode. "Get us to the hospital!" She yelled to the driver, and the car quickly swung around. "Deep breaths Cara."
"I'm doing the fucking deep breaths."
"Good, good."
"No, not good." Cara doubled over, wincing in pain.
"Just keep with the deep breaths - we're almost there." Rose rubbed Cara's back as the taxi pulled up to the hospital. Texting James, Rose hurried Cara into the hospital, where a nurse approached.
"How may I help you?"
"How may you help!?" Rose yelled, before shoving Cara towards the nurse.
"I'M HAVING A BABY!" Cara yelled, and was swiftly put on a bed and rushed through into another room.
There was a doctor and a couple of nurses, and Rose rushed in behind.
"Okay, Cara is it? The babies looking good."
"THERE'S TWO!"
"They're both doing fine. You're doing fine. You're going to feel the urge to push in a minute, and you need to go with it. Your body will know what to do."
"GET ME AN EPIDURAL!" Cara screamed, and the doctor slowly shook her head.
"I'm sorry Miss Greene, you're to far on for an epidural."
"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" Cara winced, before clutching at her stomach.
Rose called Michael, but Cara could only hear parts of what she was saying.
"Yes...right now...get here.....yes of course....I don't know......yes bring him......go!"
Cara groaned again, and grabbed Rose's hand. Rose was going to tell her to loosen off a bit, but thought better of it.
"IT FUCKING HURTS ROSE!"
"I know, I know. Deep breaths."
"YOU DON'T KNOW! I'M DOING THE BREATHING!" Cara yelled, and clamped down on Rose's hand again.
Rose grit her teeth.
Cara's breathing slowed, and the doctor turned around.
"Okay Cara, we need you to push now."
"No."
"Cara you need to push." The doctor repeated forcefully.
"No! Where's James?" tears filled Cara's eyes, and she gripped Rose's hand again as another contraction came on.
"James is coming Cara. You need to push." Rose said calmly, kneeling beside the bed.
"We have to wait for him Rose." Cara whispered, squeezing her eyes together. Rose looked to the doctor, who shook her head.
"Cara you have to push." Rose said, and Cara obeyed - gripping onto Rose's hand harder than ever.
"That's it Cara," the doctor said, and Cara growled.
"Stop. Talking."
Rose desperately fought the urge to laugh, and thankfully, was distracted by James and Michael rushing in through the doors.
"Woaahhh--" Michael groaned, covering his eyes with his hands in an attempt to block out the view he was faced with. Rose laughed and Cara gripped harder onto her hand - which caused Rose to let out a small squeal.
"Cara -" James began, rushing to her other side. She grabbed his hand, and he winced. "Jesus Christ -"
"Shut. Up." Cara said through gritted teeth.
"Okay Cara, push."

*

"Hey you," Cara whispered as the tiny baby gripped onto her index finger. He let out a tiny yawn, before repositioning himself, so that he was curled up against Cara's chest.
"He's beautiful," Rose grinned, holding out her arms. "Hello there Max," she smiled, as Cara reluctantly handed him over, then reached out and took the baby girl off James.
Her eyes opened wide, and Cara smiled at the gurgling thing.
She had James' eyes.
"Hello Lily."
The baby stretched out her arms and found Cara's engagement ring. She grabbed at it with her tiny fingers, making Cara chuckle.
James sat on the edge of the bed and watched them as Rose perched on a chair, rocking her godson to sleep.
"Cara," James began, and Cara shook her head, looking up to him.
"James -"
"Wait, just let me explain -"
"No. Let me speak. James, I'm sorry. I was confused and upset and angry and shocked and clearly, very pregnant. I love you, and you having some sort of secret family that I don't know about isn't going to change that." Cara laughed, and James chuckled. He knelt down by the side of the bed and held Cara's hand.
"Cara. I love you too, and I promise to tell you the truth from here on out."
"We've got plenty of time," Cara laughed, and James nodded.
"10 years ago, I met her. Chloe. We were still in university, and she was the first long-term relationship I'd had - so I just assumed it was normal - I had nothing to compare it to. We had been dating for about a year when she asked me to marry her."
"Wait - she asked you?"
"Yes. In hindsight, that should've warned me. But I was caught up in the whole 'first love' thing, and so I agreed to it."
"Wow."
"Of course, my grandparents didn't agree to it at all, so we didn't have a wedding - just eloped. I was so, so stupid."
"Yes, you were. Carry on." Cara laughed, and James pulled a face.
"We were married for 4 months before I realised the mistake I'd made, and requested a divorce. But she never signed the papers. Everything was done, she just wouldn't sign the bloody papers." James gripped onto the side of the bed.
"I got as far away from her as I could. I got rid of all her stuff, moved house, everything. But I got my big acting break and she managed to find me. She'd follow me around, she'd be at premieres, interviews, anywhere I went. I got a restraining order Cara. A restraining order. We've been completely separated since then. 8 years. 8 whole years." James sighed, and Cara sat in silence, processing everything that James had just told her. "She shouldn't have even been allowed in the studio. I don't know how she got there." he continued.
"And you were just going to keep this from me?" Cara whispered, and James ran his fingers through his hair.
"No, no, it's just -"
"Just what James? Just you never thought I'd find out?"
"I was going to tell you Cara - I was!"
"When James? When were you going to tell me?"
"I don't know."
Cara fell silent again, and wiped her eyes.
"Cara. I love you, and I swear to God that I was going to tell you, I just didn't know how to or what to - Cara you have to believe me." James pleaded.
"I believe you."
"Cara you- wait?"
"I believe you."
"Cara, I, I'm sorry." James mumbled, and Cara chuckled as he shifted onto one knee. "Cara, Megan, Elizabeth Greene. Will you still marry me?" he asked, and Cara laughed.
"James, no middle name McAvoy. Yes. I will still marry you."