He's not my boyfriend

John's POV

After class, Alex put his arm protectively around my waist. Don't tell anyone, but I think I have fallen for him (who would they tell? They can't speak to anyone, and everyone already knows) Not everyone! Its not that obvious, is it? (Oh John, you are so oblivious. Even Peggy knows) Peggy? (Oops, Author out!)
Anyway, as we walked down the hallway, whispers filled my ears.
"Is that the new kid?"
"What's he doing with the freak?"
"He's probably scared of him,"
"Doesn't he know that no-one speaks to him?"
I couldn't do this. I was a idiot to think that things could change. I will always be the weirdo, the freak, the boy who doesn't talk. Things like this don't change. The scars of the past run deep in me, keeping me to this isolated, depressed life.
The arm around my waist tightened, reassuring me.
"It's ok, they don't know what they're talking about," a small voice whispered gently in my ear. Alex's voice pushed down the monsters of anxiety that had been taunting me in my brain, pushing them into a cage and locking it. I put my head on his shoulder, for the first time in forever, relaxed.

"Ooo, mon ami? qui est-il?" (All the french is google translate so if it's wrong, I'm sorry)
"Je'ampelle Alexander!"
"Tu parkes Français ?"
"Oui!"
My best friend, Lafayette squealed. He was the only one who spoke French here and would constantly complain about it. As I didn't speak French, I haven't got a clue what they said, but whatever it was made him very excited.
"I did not know that little Johnny had a boyfriend!"
"Uh, Laf, he's not my boyfriend,"
"Oui, you say that now but....."  He pulled a Lenny face which made my stomach twist and do backflips.
"I think you have the wrong idea, my friend. Me and Jack are just friends,"
"Yeah," I blushed slightly at the unexpected nickname.
"Whatever you say, mon ami! Oi, Herc! Come over here!" Lafayette shouted the Irishman. Hercules was my other friend and we were very close. We met when he started dating Laf, which was around 3 years ago and we have been friends ever since.
"Yo, John my dude! And who's your boyfriend?"
"For the last time, he is not my boyfriend. Lex, these are my friends Hercules Mulligan and Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette!" Alex looked slightly shocked at his overly large name.
"Just call me Laf!"
"Uh, can we have a word?" Herc pointed to Alex, I panicked at what I knew he was going to do.
"Uh, sure," Lex walks off with Herc. I pray that he doesn't do what I think he going to do.
"So, Lex huh?"
"Shut up!"
"Never, mon ami. You two would be a cute couple!"
"I said shut up! We're just friends!"
"He seems nice, keep him close,"

Meanwhile with Alex and Herc

Alex's POV

"What are you doing with John?"
"What do you mean? I'm his friend,"
"Listen here, John hasn't had the best life, he doesn't need someone else hurting him!"
"I'm trying to protect him, I don't want to hurt him,"
"Good, just know, you hurt him, I hurt you,"
The significantly taller man glared down at me. I could see the anger in his eyes and something told me John had a bad history of fake friends.
"I am going to protect him, I promise you. You don't have to worry,"
Before the Irishman could say anymore, John ran up to us.
"Herc, please tell me you didn't go full dad mode on him?"
"No comment....."
"Herc! I'm just trying to make friends! Stop pushing them away!"
"It's ok, I get it. I would be protective too in his position,"