Chapter 3

After about 30 minutes of small talk on the way to gilbert's house, things get awkward quickly. All of a sudden he asks,

" are we friends?"

"Um.... what do you mean?"

"Well, I assume we enjoy eachothers company, and well you suffered a great deal of pain to be here with me today, so.... "

"Yes, Gilbert we are" I say with a smile, I see him blush and I get the worst butterflies anyones ever had.

"In that case.."

Gilbert

Half way home, I walked back to school because I wanted to talk to Annabelle when I saw her sitting on a snowy log by a stream looking disheveled, I made my way over to her and I saw her cover her leg very quickly. I hurry my pace and I see some of the snow around her leg is a light red color and I almost stop in my tracks, I rush up to her and ask what had happened. She explains the horrible story and we start home. I can't help but feel guilty. :( she wanted to go home but I suggested she come with me, I really want to help her, it is my fault anyway. We talk casually for a while but I want to know more about her. In order to do this I feel like I need permission.

"Are we friends?"

That was my question. She says yes and I'm starting to feel more confident Until I go to ask her more about herself.

"In that case..."

She fainted... what...do... I... do...

I drop down to my knees and put her head on my lap. I yell for help but no one comes, they all left a long time ago. After a few minutes, I attempt to pick her up and bring her home. We got home and I yelled for Bash, he came quickly to get the door and I ran to put her up into a room, because Bash was here, the only open room was mine so I brought her up there and laid her down. I take off her coat and tuck her under the covers. I ask Bash to go get her Mother, he comes back quickly and says she's not home but he left a note. I figure it best to let her rest but I realise she still has the cuts on her legs. So I pull the covers off of her legs and start to clean them out with a warm washcloth. When I finish I tuck her back in and fall asleep in the chair.

Annabelle

I wake up with a jolt, not knowing where I am. I look around and see someone in the chair.

"Gilbert?"

"Huh?!?!"

""What happened"

"Um, well you kinda passed out on the way home, so I took you here. I cleaned your legs out and I think everything should be good now. Your mom should be here in the morning Bash left her a note"

"What time is it?"

" About 3 in the morning"

"I think we should go back to sleep, you can have your bed back"

"No, its ok, you keep it"

"Pleaseeee, what would it take? Oh, what if we share? Yeah?" I ask with puppy dog eyes. After everything he's done for me he at least deserves a nice bed to sleep in and he clearly isn't letting me sleep on the couch.

"Only if you are comfortable"

"Yes, I am"

He climbs in and turns away from me, we keep our distance. It isn't very proper for us to be sleeping in the same bed, let alone me being in his room. Mama would kill me. Either way, his presence was nice, I couldn't fall asleep though because the thought of him being this close made my heart rate speed up. I'm wide awake so I ask,

"Hey Gilbert,"

"Yeh"

"Why are you doing all of this for me?" I ask, totally oblivious to what he's thinking. He turns over and looks me right in the eyes.

"'Why?' because you're my friend, and I really like you, you're a great person, truly."

All of a sudden it's hard to breathe. He turns on his back and we lay there for a few minutes.Until I feel something touch my arm, it's him, Gilbert is slowly tracing his fingers over my hand making little circles until he eventually takes hold of it. After a moment or two, I take my opportunity and snuggle into his chest. I hear his breathing hitch and it makes me nervous that I've made him uncomfortable but he doesn't move or say anything so I stay where i am.  After another couple of minutes I feel his hand drift to my hair and he slowly strokes it and finally, for the first time, I fall asleep without any worry or nightmares.