Chapter 108

Grandma Li heard her grandson's resolute words, and complex emotions filled her heart. Her eyes reddened helplessly.

She lowered her eyes silently and wiped it.

She even remembered clearly He Songye's clear and giggling laughter before she became deaf. Her voice was like the cheerful little birds tweeting gently. Everyone loved to tease her.

He Songbai turned his head and tied a stack of money with a rope. He weighed it, and the thick bank notes squeezed in his hands gave him a sense of security.

He said, "I want you all to have a good life."

After he finished speaking, he turned and left his grandmother to gather her emotions.

Grandma Li's aged eyes became more and more blurred. Her rumpled face covered with tears.

Soon, taking advantage of the slack season after the autumn harvest, He Songbai took his elder sister to the hospital.

At first, Sister He thought that her husband hadn't recovered so, she followed her brother to the hospital. When they arrived at the hospital, He Songbai pushed her into the examination room. His hands were broad and muscular, and he closed the door for her without hesitation.

The doctor inside asked her to sit down with a smile and then turned on the bright lights beaming on her ears. He Songye looked at the doctor in confusion and then at her younger brother standing outside.

In the end, she seemed to understand something, and her eyes were wet.

After a while, the doctor who finished the examination discussed several treatment options with He Songbai. He paid to stand in the corridor of the hospital. He felt his pockets deflated quite a bit and so the path to save for a gift became quite long yet again. After paying the operation fee, he almost didn't dare to look at Zhao Lanxiang's eyes.

Zhao Lanxiang was waiting for him on the first floor of the hospital. When she saw him, she asked, "What's wrong? What did the doctor say, is it difficult to cure?"

He Songbai shook his head and only said sorry to her.

"The money I earned this time will treat the elder sister's ears first, and the illness can't avoid delay in treatment. Lanxiang, I will try my best to continue saving."

Zhao Lamxiang caught a trace of guilt in the man's eyes.

She couldn't help laughing and said, "Do you have any misunderstandings about the ceremony? Although the city folks prioritize more money for the wedding, it is not to sell their daughter. The ceremony is just a walk (T/N - I don't know what the author means here. Is the ceremony as easy as a walk in the park? Or is it just a formality?)

"Maybe there are fewer gifts given than the daughters-in-law in the country!"

Zhao Lanxiang explained to the rural bun in front of her. "Now the women in the city also have jobs. We pay attention to equality between men and women."

"The two people are married, and they focus on the similarity between their hearts and their personalities. Since then, the amount of gifts has become a problem. But if they don't match other, then no amount of gifts can save their relationship. People who love their daughters are not willing to embarrass their son-in-law. Yes, if you give too much, my parents might be afraid to take it."

"Do you understand it now?" (T/N - Umm, I don't understand it though. I know she doesn't want him to be troubled over this but the above lines don't make sense. Tell me if you know.)

She tilted her head and looked him straight in the eyes.

He Songbai's heart suddenly burst into a melting stream of heat, so hot that his heart could not help shaking. He touched her head, "You are so nice."