Chapter 113

The missing Hu Xianzhi did not return until night.

In the evening, when Gu Huaijin was eating, he saw that Hu Xianzhi who often watched him eat in the cowshed wasn't there. Gu Huaijin surmised that Hu Xianzhi must have heard his conversation with He Songbai. That whistleblower must have gone to Wu Yong.

He was outraged.

Gu Huaijin quickly went to He Songbai and angrily said, "That rabbit is going to tip-off his brother! Will this affect you?"

Gu Huaijin discovered the fact that Hu Xianzhi was not there, and He Songbai also found out.

He Songbai said, "It doesn't matter."

He recalled yesterday's scene. If he couldn't detect Hu Xianzhi, then he must've been hiding at some distance away. At that time, he spoke very quietly, so Hu Xianzhi probably couldn't have heard him. He might've found due to Gu Huaijin's unbridled fury.

He Songbai said, "It's important to fire him from his post to stop his tricks."

He paused and asked, "Is Principal Fu willing to listen to your opinion?"

Gu Huaijin assured, "You don't need to worry about this. He is a decent person."

Gu Huaijin didn't write any letter at all. He went to the county post office the next day and sent a telegram to the principal. After sending the telegram, he walked out of the post office and, it happened to rain. He stood under the eaves of others and quoted to himself, "The desolate cold rain brought a desolate blankness to my heart."

He suddenly felt that the past few decades, he had seen a plethora of students behaviours. Over the years, he had cultivated many students, both outstanding and unknown. But the disciple who came to him by himself didn’t make any achievements but instead harmed society. The first two didn’t learn properly and blew up the mountain. From the remaining two, one became a labourer. The other one's behaviour is suspected to be unethical, which made him feel very uncomfortable. It left a bad taste in his mouth.

In the trembling cold rain, Gu Huaijin's waist was even more rickety.

Hezitun (River Child Village)

The news of the results of the college entrance examination finally reached the countryside and drove it into a frenzy. The villager who had zero formal education and was an idler was admitted to the university and even got the first place in the province!

This shocked the people in the surrounding ten miles and eight towns. Their poor and broken place actually produced a provincial topper.

A few decades ago, a formidable jinshi bagged the first place at the provincial level. The villagers in Hezitun were astonished, and they all lamented that the ancestral tombs of the landlord's family might have smoked. (T/N - The explanation is in the comments. Thank you, kind passerby.)

They had despised the old landlord's family quite a bit in their hearts, and couldn't sit still at this moment. It was such a complicated mood. When they talked to others, they felt a sense of pride which baffled them behind the doors.

"Is this man's brain so clever? I remember He Songbai never read a serious book?"

"Even second-raters can take the top spot. Isn't this college entrance exam too easy? Let my boss try it next year."

"This result may have been copied!"

The educated youths in the brigade were dissatisfied, and they said: "This is a serious national college entrance examination. Cheating is a crime!"

"The college entrance examination is as easy as you said, everyone is a college student!"

Li family.