wasn't always at a hundred percent

one

Rosalie had lost hope in finding her mate. The thought that Emmett might have been her's were dashed when he woke up after his transition. The only bond between them was platonic, strong but never romantic.

Maybe he'd caught her eye because he had looked so much like her neighbour's baby boy. God, that was so long ago...

The chatters of everyone downstairs dulled out the blonde's other thoughts, just wanting to lose herself in some manner of silence. She actually preferred the mindless chatter of the students at Forks High over the all knowing looks from Alice and the curious glances from Edward.

She had been getting that kind of bullshit from those two all week. It was really starting to grate her nerves. Rosalie could throttle them both right now and not bat an eyelid.

Knowing she couldn't stay in her room forever, the blonde opened her door only to find Emmett, perhaps her only friend at this moment, standing there with his fist raised, ready to knock.

He gave her his face splitting grin, the childlike gleam in his eye mixed with the dimple in his chin made her smile back, "Ready for school, Rosie?"

Rosalie sighed, her shoulders drooping ever so slightly, "Can I say no?"

How it was possible she had no idea, but the bear sized vampire's grin widened even further, "Nope."

The two descended the stairs, Alice and Jasper were on the couch, Esme rearranging everything for the thousandth time that morning and Edward was propped up against a wall, his face set in a sulk, no doubt thinking about his 'precious' Bella.

The picture boy of self-deprecation scowled at her, a low growl leaving his throat but quickly stopped when Emmett growled back.

Eddy boy might be able to read minds, but Emmy bear had ripped him limb from limb plenty of times. Accidental and on purpose. Telepathy can't always protect him, just as the rest of the coven were constantly saying.

"I overheard that there's going to be a new teacher at school today."

Rose huffed and crossed her arms, "Perfect."

Esme glanced at her with a soft look in her eyes. The matriarch knew the blonde's front was just that. A front. Something that kept the girl's worries and fears locked away so she could focus on protecting her family. It was such a sweet thing to do but had led everyone outside of the family to believe she was cold and heartless.

"One of the large, old manors across town was also renovated. Quite quickly actually. I...may have driven past it. It's beautiful," Jasper murmured, his chin resting on Alice's shoulder, "Though from what I could see, there's only two, maybe three, people living there."

"Then why would they buy such a big place if there's only going be a couple of them living there?" Rosalie asked, her gorgeous face screwed up with confusion.

It was Edward who answered, "Perhaps its an ancestral family home? Owned decades ago, when we weren't here and now they're back? Just like us?"

"Well...i hope...not JUST like us," Esme worried her bottom lip. Who knows what type of disrupt that may cause between their coven and the entire town if there happened to be another vampire deciding to call Forks their home. Not to mention what the wolves would do.