listen to a lowly soldier

six

After his short rant, Nikolai was hit with the realization that he would most likely have to repeat himself over and over in all of his classes for the rest of the week if there were any other 'Lauren Mallorys' or perhaps not, judging by the flood of whispers that erupted within the school hallways as his students filed out of the room when the bell rang.

One thing that had amused him during the hour was that none of the teenagers had even realised or noticed the small cradle by the desk that held a slumbering baby. Nik wasn't surprised to see that Faye was still asleep. His daughter could sleep through an earthquake...and gunfire.

The Russian didn't bother to look up at the clock on the wall, already knowing that five minutes had gone by and that he had another five until his class. Nikolai also knew that halfway through his second class, at 10:36 exactly, his baby girl would make up for her snack. He had a little bottle warmer under his desk, ready for her.

Taking a slim folder from the top drawer of his desk, Nik moved back to the blackboard to erase the last period's teachings and to prepare for the next English class.

He was quick, writing with his left hand and holding the open file in his right. Every few seconds he'd listen for Faye while inside his head, Nikolai was counting down the minutes for-

The bell rang.

Satisfied with his work, the tall, dark haired teacher put away the file and unlocked his laptop, pulling up the attendance roll. The class door then opened and students started to enter the room, all of them eyeing him curiously as they found their seats.

One of the last three to walk in made Nikolai smile widely, "Mr Hale."

The blond smiled back and the two beside him seemed to be startled for two different reasons.

:3

Jasper had always enjoyed history.

But today he was finding it hard to concentrate, caught up in the storm, the excitement and the nervousness, the curiosity and the tension of all the students having English today. This mysterious new teacher, who everyone has their own opinions on, was the biggest thing to happen to Forks since Bella.

The vampire had already met Nikolai, Mr Molchalin, and he believed the man was incredible and very intelligent. Jasper thought that he'd be a breath of relief for himself at least.

His 'twin sister' sat beside him in history class, heavy doses of anxiety rolling off her in waves, clenching and unclenching her fists while she ground her teeth.

"Rose?" he murmured her name under his breath.

The blonde slowly turned her head and he was suddenly staring into pitch black eyes, full of heated irritation and discomfort, "Yes, Jasper...?"

Her voice was a hiss, low and strained and it made him worry.

"Why are you feeling like this?"

"Its that scent, Jay. Whoever it is...they're here and I feel like a tiger trapped in a child's playpen, in one moment I'm going to snap, but in the next like I'm in heaven and I almost feel alive again."

"So not good?"

A growl left her throat, quiet enough so no one else could hear it except Jasper, but he just chuckled as she narrowed a glare at him.

The asshole.

"I do believe I told you that you should talk to Alice, yesterday before Carlisle and I left that morning. She even invited you to go hunting with her when we got back. I was sitting right next to you with my new book when she asked."

Rosalie huffed and crossed her arms.

"But no, God forbid the Hale Princess listen to a lowly soldier, hmm?"

"Oh stop it, you brat."

Jasper grinned brightly at her and it shocked him. This was the most emotive he'd been in school, hell, in public! since they moved to Forks. He had a feeling it had to do with a certain new arrival.

"Bell's about to ring..." the younger of the two 'twins' muttered, shifting her now golden gaze up to the clock above the blackboard, "You'll be able to see your new boyfriend."

The older scoffed, "You're just jealous I met him before you did."

Rosalie rolled her eyes, "Whatever."

"I wonder if he brought Faye with him..."

"Faye?"

The two faced each other again, the history teacher's voice just becoming a dull drone in the background now.

"His six month old daughter."

"He has a baby..? Why isn't she with her mother?" Rose almost looked angry.

But the expression quickly faded when Jasper winced, "Yeah I don't think anyone who knows the two of them would want to know that, let alone have it happen."

"Why not?"

"Its really not my place to tell you, Rose."

"Again. Why not?"

He shook his head with his handsome face set in a tight smile, shortish blond curls flying everywhere, "Maybe if you had've spoken to Alice, she might've told you."

This time, Rosalie's growl was loud enough to be heard by the whole class and all of them, knowing no idea where the hell the sound had come from, jumped from fright.

The bell finally rang and the students rose, gathering their books and pencils and heading out for their next class.

"Emmett's going to meet us on the way."

"But he's usually at the door waiting for us."

Jasper shrugged, a crooked grin taking over his face, making him appear quite a bit younger than his eyes portrayed, "Not a lot of things are going the way they usually do, Rose. Not today at least."

With a mix of an amused huffed, an annoyed scoff and a roll of her pretty gold eyes, Rosalie followed him out of the classroom door and sure enough, on the way to English, their youngest brother met them on the way.

"Heya, Jazz. Rosie. There's already rumours spreading 'round about of the new teach. Some of them are hilarious. I swear, I can't wait to meet him and see if any of them are real."

"We're all anxious to meet him, Em."

"That's true. I think it's gonna be a big shock for everyone."