had given her the opportunity of a lifetime

eight

It had been about a month now since Nikolai had moved to Forks and started teaching at the High School. To say he was impressed...

Would be a complete lie.

Apart from a select few, most of his students were, to put it simply, dumb.

To his surprise, Loren, despite their first, unfortunate meeting, she was a very diligent student and Nik had, after a short conversation about a fortnight ago, her parents weren't the type of encourage intelligence. Which was definitely a disappointment.

Another student was Anzhela, who was the daughter of the man who had furnished his home. She was brilliant. And Mark was very proud. For a single father of one, he'd done well.

There was Dzhasper. Nikolai always enjoyed reading his essays as the young man was broad minded and quick, even though he was a little on the quiet side. Unlike his brother.

Emmet was a perfect example of 'more than meets the eye.' He was huge, built like a tank and Nik had seen men around his size be absolute monsters. But the teen was thoughtful, imaginative and quite creative. And loud.

Then there was Rozhalie.

Nik felt... guilty to admit his attraction to the blonde. Especially since, one, the girl was a student in his English class and two, she was the daughter of the man he had befriended. The back haired man had berated himself for then feeling smug and relieved when receiving her homework.

Miss Hale's beauty harmonized with her brilliance effortlessly.

The Russian pinched the bridge of his nose as he sat at his desk in his home office. These conflicted thoughts would be the death of him. Nik's dark eyed gaze trailed over the huge room before looking out of one of the large windows. It was night outside, the stars and moon hidden by the grey clouds travelling across the skies.

The phone beside him suddenly trilled loudly and Nikolai quickly snatched the device, worried to have woken his daughter in the next room. He waited a few seconds, listening hard before pressing the receiver to his ear.

"Da?"

"Lord Molchalin?"

"Speaking."

"Sir," the voice on the other side of the phone was shaky, nervous as me continued, "the Sem'ya want a vstrecha."

Nik hummed, thoughtfully, unconsciously stroking the backs of his fingers across the underside of his chin, "Do they know I now live in the Americas?"

"Yes, sir," the man let out a stuttering breath, "they're willing to travel to your choice of location, sir. The sem'ya want only to speak to you. With you."

He hummed again, sensing something sinister. His eyes darted over to the door leading to Faye's room, the idea of taking her to a vstrecha making him sick. He would have to...he would have to ask someone to care for his daughter so he may meet the Sem'ya.

"Tell them a week from Sunday in a city called Port Angeles, Washington State."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, s-"