the gaze of pure love and devotion

four

"You have no idea how happy we are to have you, Mister Molchalin. To hear from you just days after the previous eleventh grade English teacher just left after winning the lottery, is nothing short of a miracle."

Nikolai had to his smug smirk, feeling particularly proud of himself about the mysterious lottery win, while he crossed his legs, "Yes, a miracle indeed."

The principal of Forks High, Mrs Elizabeth Sparrow-Peterson smiled graciously behind her desk, the sun shining through the windows behind her made her white hair look almost transparent.

"You understand that I will be bringing my daughter into my classroom. She rarely cries," Nik assured, as he rested his folded hands on his leg, Annika fast asleep in a baby carrier on his left and a large backpack on his right.

"Of course, of course," the old woman waved her hand, her kind face softening, "I understand. I'm sure the staff will absolutely adore her. Not to mention our female students."

"I haven't met a soul who hasn't been spellbound by Faye's charm." the Russian chuckled, smiling down at her.

"I thought her name was-"

"It's hard to say her name, being her mother's."

"Ah..." The room fell silent for a minute or two before the principal chortled quietly, "I've never met a father so devoted to his daughter. Perhaps the Chief of Police, but not even my husband was so focused on our children."

"She is all I have left of my family..."

Elizabeth hummed sadly, then turned her pale eyes to her golden wristwatch, "Well, your first class is at ten and it's almost eight-thirty so if you would like me to take you to your classroom, you can rearrange everything to the way you want before students start arriving, so please," the woman gestured with her hand as she stood, "follow me."

Nikolai stood as well moving over to open the door for her, the lessons ingrained into his bones when he was a child and it made the woman smile, "I trust you've read through this year's curriculum?"

"I have. Simple. Easy to follow. Hopefully, the students will see it as such."

The principal burst out laughing as they traipsed down the empty hallway, her low heels clicking against the floor, "Unfortunately, not all of our students are..."

She trailed off and Nik chuckled again, understanding what she meant, "Yes, well, with luck I might be able to change that."

Mrs Sparrow-Peterson stopped and turned, grinning widely at him as she opened a classroom door for him to pass through, "Perhaps."

The Russian nodded his head, moving the baby carrier in front of him and his bag behind him, entering the room. That was when Annika opened her eyes with a happy sound.

Elizabeth followed, wanting to take a small peek at the gorgeous little girl that her new staff member had brought with him.

Nikolai put his bag behind the desk and the baby carrier on it, giving the principal the chance. And she was, just like he had said she would be, spellbound, "Those eyes...so big and curious."