Frustration, embarassment and the kiss

*Skylar's P.O.V*

We passed the Pyramids of Giza and arrived at the temple at Karnak. Evie took off into the temple while Rick, Ardeth and I split up and checked the train carts. There was no one there, they had packed up and left, we were too late. Still looking around I heard Ardeth call from outside, "We've lost them, they've gone." Sticking my head out of the cart I was in I saw Rick with a range of emotions etched on his face, but mostly fear and a hint of defeat. "Rick" Evie's voice echoed from the temple Rick sprinted to her, Ardeth and myself not far behind. When we reached her she was holding Alex's tie in her hands, "Alex left us his tie," She held it out to Rick and started to bend down.  Following her lead we all crouched "And he made us a little sand castle, it's the temple of Philae. They've gone to Philae." "That a boy Alex" I mutter, standing, Rick grabs Evie's elbow helping her up before exclaiming "Come on!" We took off to the balloon.

*time skip Ardeth's P.O.V*

We landed at the temple of Philae, and walked about until Rick came across Alex's jacket and lifted it revealing another sand castle. The boy was smart I'll give him that. "The great temple of Abu Simbel." I attached the note of the new location to Horrus' leg and sent him off to the Medjai, Rick and Evelyn walked back to the balloon, I was about to do the same when I heard a groan of frustration. Turning I saw Skylar sitting beside the sand castle looking annoyed. "We will find him." I said hoping to reassure her, "But will we make it in time? I should have been paying more attention, it's my fault he was taken, I wasn't paying attention and I messed up big time." She degraded herself making me annoyed, cutting her off I spoke "It is not your fault, you tried to get him back, endangering your own life in doing. You could not have stopped it no matter what you did, this is happening for a reason and I will not stand around whilst you talk badly of yourself. You frustrate me that you always put yourself down." I grabbed her face looking her in the eyes "Skylar you are the most beautiful, selfless person I know."  I was having an inner battle with myself one side of me wanted to kiss her but I couldn't yet. I dropped my hand and stalked off to the balloon were Rick gave me a confused glance at me then at Skylar who was jogging up behind me. 'Why does she have this affect on me. Doesn't she know that I would do anything to protect her? And that was the reason for me leaving her, those many years ago, was because I thought it would protect her?' These thoughts clouded my thoughts and I soon realized that we were landing in front of the temple of Abu Simbel.

*time skip Skylar's P.O.V*

We had found another sand castle dictating were to go next and were heading there now. I was thinking about what Ardeth had said, but my mind would not believe that I was as beautiful or selfless as he said. We were now traveling through a valley following the Nile. "That's the blue Nile down there." Rick commented gazing over the edge, I rolled my eyes 'way to point out the obvious Rick' I thought. Evie spurted out some facts, feeling her unease I walked over to her and pulled into a hug before declaring, "Don't worry Evie, we'll find him, he's a smart kid. I promise you I'll get him back to you and Rick no matter the cost." I glanced over at Rick who nodded his head in thanks, then gazed round at our companions , Jonathan was at the other side of the balloon looking over the edge, Izzy was humming along to a song only he could hear like a mad man, and when I came to Ardeth I saw him look at me whilst shaking his head. He had already made it clear that he wanted to value my life more but Alex is only a kid, he needs his parents, whether he likes it or not and they need him.

It was eerily quiet, then we heard it, the splashing off water. Izzy gasped turning his way I saw a wall of water heading towards us at a tremendous speed. "We're in trouble!!" Izzy shouts, while I stood frozen in shock, a face emerged from the water.  "Imohtep" I murmured voicing my distaste of the mummy.  "Horrus fly." Ardeth commanded. Still not taking my eyes off the mass of water until Rick yelled "Izzy!! Take a hard right. Starbort!!! Starbort!!!" I turned curious to were that would take us. The balloon learched forward sending me in to Ardeth who caught me, looking up I smiled and thanked him, gently taking my face in his hands, he kissed me. We soon pulled apart as the balloon took a hard right. I felt myself flush in embarrassment. We avoided most of the water but still got a bit blasted, soaking us to the bone. Standing up I checked that everyone was okay. "Is there a little something you forgot to mention?" Izzy asked snarkily.  Jonathan's voice soon rang out in the valley, "Uhh? Guys? People?" We turned in confusion and saw a forest before us, just like in the story. Ardeth uttered the word on all our minds "Ahm Shere"