15. Cheers

BLOOD SLAVES

CHAPTER 15 – CHEERS

Andi looked at the empty bottles scattered on the floor. Nakakailan na ba silang bote ng alak? Ilan na ba ang mga sinubukan nilang alak? Beer? Check. Brandy? Check. Wine? Check. Maru even went for another bottle of Vodka and was now drinking it. She was lying on the table, staring at the ceiling, while holding the bottle of Vodka on her right hand.

She looked at the speaker blasting a sad and depressing classical song and Maru was feeling it. Hindi na magugulat si Andi kung ang susunod na mangyari ay umiyak na lamang ang dalaga habang nakahiga sa lamesa.

"Naririnig mo ba 'yon, Andi? Iyan 'yong puso kong..." Huminga ito ng malalim at nagpatuloy sa pagtitig sa kisame. Andi was just looking at Maru. She was in a complete mess but she didn't say anything. It was Maru's moment and she was not going to ruin it.

Maya maya't ay bigla na lamang natawa ang dalaga. Umupo ito at tumingin kay Andi.

"I don't even know if my heart is beating. Did I mention that I died twice?" Muling natawa ng malakas si Maru at muling uminom ng alak.

Andi was keeping it low for the past two hours. She didn't say anything. She didn't do anything. She drank when Maru said she should drink. She would answer if it was needed. She just watched how Maru drowned herself with alcohol. And she couldn't get why the woman was doing this to herself. So, for the first time in two hours, she got interested about her life and finally asked.

"You died twice?"

Tumango ang dalaga. "Twice. First was for my family. The second was for him, for Raiden."

"Why are you doing this to yourself?"

The laughing face was nowhere to be seen. Bigla na lamang nagbago ang timpla ng hangin sa kuwarto.

"It's been... I don't know. Three weeks, I guess? Since I—I became like this."

"Like what?"

"Like them. A creature who feeds blood to live."

Andi looked at her straight in the eyes and from then, she knew what was going on with Maru.

"And you're not happy," Andi said and that made Maru smile.

"I am not happy right now," she answered while smiling. "I should be happy. I should be happy, right?"

Maru bit her lower lip and tried not to cry.

"Everything is just hard. And Raiden—God, he was always there for me. He is loving, gentle, and perfect. He helped me throughout this whole process and I am thankful for that—It's just I felt like I should be happy right now but—"

"You don't." Andi finished the sentence for her because Maru couldn't utter any word saying she was not happy with the whole situation.

"But why are you not happy?" Andi asked again. She made the decision to be with him, with the man she loved. So, why was she not happy with her situation at all?

Maru drank again on the bottle and wiped her lips using the back of her hand. She looked at the empty bottles and looked everywhere. Then her gaze finally stopped at Andi.

"Do you want to have a long bedtime story, Andi?"

Tumango ang dalaga.

"Do you want to see some skeletons in my closet?"

"Am I allowed to know that?"

"I am allowing you and you're gonna listen to a drunk woman. Can you do that?"