~2~

I'm probably the only kid in my class who spends their summers working math problems. My parents assign me twenty pages per day, and they expect it to be done by the time they get home. I know they have "my best interests in mind" and "want me to have a good life", but as a third grader, I really could not picture multivariable calculus in my near future. I knew the real reason why my parents kept pushing me, though.

My hands reached over, wrapping around a photo frame of our family. I trailed my eyes across my small figure cradled in Mom's arms and Dad caught mid-laugh. But my gaze faltered when I saw Luca. Even though he'd left the nest, my parents couldn't stop talking about my older brother.

Luca Guiluliani–student athlete, top of the class, always has his life together, everything I'm not. I'd like to think the first child is like a recipe. My parents tested different things out until they were pleased with the outcome. And now that I'm here, why would they bother changing the ingredients when they work oh so well together?

Now, Luca is a freshman at the University of Success, studying medicine during the day and scoring goals for his school's soccer team during the night. And what was I doing? "Not enough", apparently. It's never enough...

***

"Isa, please help me," he pleaded. "I don't want to be scary anymore."

The monster was full on sobbing now, and I looked around for tissues. Oh wait! I used them up when studying integrals and differential equations! So I made quick use of my CALCULUS FOR DUMMIES workbook and started ripping pages for the beast to blow his snot.

"There, there," I patted his back. I wasn't sure what to say in this situation. It was my first time comforting someone. But I figured the universal first step in the monster world and the human world was exchanging names.

"I'm Isabella, but you can call me Isa. I mean, I guess you already do call me Isa. Every night. Anyways, what's your name?" I attempted conversation.

The monster blew his nose on the makeshift tissue before dabbing underneath his eyes and tossing the balled up paper into his mouth. Wonderful. Now I could tell Mom "the resident monster ate my homework." I'd definitely have to keep this fellow around.

"My name is Chompy," he pouted. "I promise I don't chomp. At least not anymore."

Well that was relieving.

"Alright, Chompy. Why don't you want to be scary anymore? Isn't that a monster's whole job? How else do you make money and pay rent?"

I definitely struck a sensitive nerve with that last question. Chompy started ripping more calculus pages to use as tissues.

"It's every monster's dream to be the biggest, scariest monstrosity that ever exists," Chompy began. "Some live under beds, others prowl dark alleys. But only the best get to haunt the mountains."

"Wait, so you can choose your job? Well why don't you try working at the pot at the end of the rainbow? I heard they pay really well over there. Ask the leprechauns." But apparently, Chompy had thought of that already.

The monster scratched his scaly head and sighed. "I guess you could say my fate is already sealed. Do you know what they call the monsters that live in the mountains?"

I racked my brain for an answer. "Sorry, I've never really been haunted by a monster other than you. Do enlighten me."

Chompy looked around as if someone else in the room was listening. I could assure the creature that everyone in the house was fast asleep and that I was really good at keeping secrets.

"Nightcrawlers," Chompy finally spat out, a shiver running up his tail. "And do you know who runs Monstruo City?"

Once again, I didn't know the answer, but I took a stab at it. "The Nightcrawlers?"

"Yes!" Chompy's eyes widened. "How'd you know?"

I shrugged. "Lucky guess. So what's the big deal about these Nightcrawlers anyway?"

Chompy crumpled a page on limits and continuity, and I was thankful because I really didn't want to review that lesson. "I guess I should have started with my full name. I'm Chompy Nightcrawler, the youngest child in the Nightcrawler family. My folks have been haunting the human world for generations, which is why they title the most esteemed monsters after my family name."

Yikes. I was starting to see why Chompy had resorted to me for help.

"I don't want to be like my older brother Toothy. He started as a monster under the bed when he was my age. But of course, he studied up and took all the required tests and now has a license to haunt the mountains."

I studied Chompy's glistening eyes. I felt like I was staring at myself. There was always someone stronger and wiser. There was always someone better.

"You have a Luca in your life, too," I noted, ripping a page on Cavalieri's quadrature formula to wipe my falling tears.