~6~

"Are you c-crazy?" Roary's claws dug into the dining table. "You really think that's going to go well?"

I smiled. "Of course. Obviously, there's some sort of misunderstanding you monsters have. You talk about humans like we're evil to the core. We're really nice once you get to know us. I even offered Chompy my favorite cookies. For context, I usually never share my chocolate chip cookies."

Chompy melted into a puddle on the floor, deep in thought.

"I promise I can solve this. It's as easy as untangling a knot in my shoelaces," I grinned. "You can count on me. But first, I really need to get home. To be honest, I'm more scared of my parents than the Nightcrawlers."

The two monsters exchanged glances again. Seems like I'd made a fair point. Roary made the "I'll-keep-my-lips-sealed" sign, and Chompy turned to stare at me.

"Okay, I'll take you back to Earth. But on one condition."

I gestured for him to continue. Surely, his condition would be something small and manageable, like forking over a few more cookies and jalapeno chips.

"Help me get out of being a Nightcrawler. I approached you in the first place because you seemed really thoughtful and smart. We're both kids with dreams. We just want to be. No expectations from our parents–nothing tethering us down."

Goosebumps danced along my arms. Chompy was right. This whole thing had started with the resident monster asking me for help. And here I was getting him into even more trouble. Helping him find his dream was the least I could do.

"Deal!" I shook his hand after he materialized from his gelatinous puddle.

Like before, I held his hand, but this time I wasn't as scared. I waved to Roary, promising I'd be back soon. And the nervous little thing mumbled something about wanting me to be safe and never having to return to Monstruo City.

That familiar weightless feeling overcame me, and I tried my hardest to bear it.

"Remember, it takes more effort when you resist going down the slide," Chompy spoke. That was the little reminder I needed, and I slowly relaxed my muscles. I let the weightless feeling flow within me, and I stopped arguing with the questionable forces of gravity and glooping.

I hardly knew we landed until Chompy tapped my shoulder, and I cracked my eyes open. We stood on the road in front of my house, and I'd never been more thankful to see home. Chompy grabbed handfuls of soil and grass and tried to dirty my clothes.

"You got lost in the mountains," he prompted.

"And I barely managed to stumble home," I winked.

"Alright, I'm gonna gloop out, but I'll be back at night. See you soon, Isa!" Chompy waved before evaporating.

I faced my house, noticing the light on in the living room. Sure, I was happy to be home, but I was scared how my parents would react. Would they be happy? Or worried?

I drummed my knuckles on the front door after repeatedly ringing the doorbell. Seconds later, Dad and Mom appeared and yanked me into their arms.

"ISA!" my mom sobbed. I soaked in her warm embrace, inhaling the scent of her cocoa perfume. Beyond my parents stood two patrol officers in neon vests that I'd spotted at Mt. Helleron. They too sighed in relief and gave Dad a pat on the shoulder.

"What happened? I can't believe you ran off from your group to explore on your own. This is your problem in school, too. You never follow the directions. The rules aren't suggestions, Isa!" Dad bellowed.