~13~

"Alright, class. Today we'll be having our long-awaited show and tell. I know many of you have prepared exciting things for us to see today. Who would like to go first?" Mr. Zeno asked from his podium at the front of the class.

Evie nearly shot out of her seat, raising her hand proudly and squealing "Me! Me! Me!" The class groaned, sure she would show off the same ballet moves she used for every show and tell. But with her injured leg, she instead took a seat at the front and smiled deviously.

"I wrote a song to perform today. Here it goes," she grinned. If I hadn't known her secret love for rap, I would have been just as surprised as everyone else. Each word was crisp and clear, and soon the class was clapping along to the beat she was rapping to.

"How charismatic!" Mr. Zeno exclaimed. "Who's next?"

Santiago showed off his massive seashell collection, and Jun modeled traditional clothing from his home country. Everyone had something so beautiful and unique to present. And with each volunteer, I grew more anxious. What if the class didn't like my surprise?

"Isabella, would you like to go next?" Mr. Zeno suggested. He could probably tell I was nervous about my turn from the way I was wriggling in my seat.

"You can do this," Evie whispered beside me. "I'm sure the class will love what you prepared."

I genuinely hope that's the case.

The walk to the front of the classroom was unusually long. I'd never participated in a show and tell before. Instead, I soaked up what everyone else presented from my seat at the back of the class. The other students seemed just as surprised to see me front and center.

"Hey, everyone," I cleared my throat. "I wanted to start off by apologizing for what happened at Mt. Helleron. I know you all must be a bit upset about the way things turned out, but I hope my show and tell can make it up to you."

Gingerly, I set two canteens down on the table in front of me. Here it goes.

I slowly twisted the lids open, and immediately, Mr. Zeno stumbled backwards. He probably caught a whiff of that sickly sweet scent by now.

"Isabella–" he backed up against the whiteboard.

"It's okay," I assured him. "Look."

Two puddles of gelatinous liquid oozed out of the canteens. One was a vibrant blue and the other was lime green with strawberry-colored polka dots.

"Whoa! Is that slime?" Evie piped up.

I shook my head. "It's even better."

Within seconds, the blobs began taking shape. They morphed until they had arms, legs, and a spiky tail.

"Oh my! There goes my acid reflux," Mr. Zeno fell to the ground in shock. He lunged for his phone and immediately started dialing a number. I assumed he was calling the detectives investigating the Mt. Helleron case. Unable to stop him, I focused my attention on the other students who studied the two creatures in silence.

"Meet me best friends, Chompy and Roary. They're from Monstruo City and are really friendly. To be honest, I was in danger at Mt. Helleron, and it was these two who helped me out a lot and kept me safe. And now, I can't imagine life without them."

Santiago raised his hand. "Can they speak?"

"We sure can!" Chompy answered his question with a grin. "And we brought a little surprise." The youngest Nightcrawler sibling glooped his hand for a second and returned with a large container. "Who wants cookies?"