Chapter 1

WARNING TRIGGER SCENES IN THIS CHAPTER 
Viola's POV

I hear the slamming of doors as they get home. 

With every door that I hear shutting, I back further into the corner, 

shaking in fear. 

I await the fate that I've suffered so many times before. 

... The door slams open with a thud. I hesitate but look up to see Jack, my mother's boyfriend holding a nearly empty bottle of vodka entering angrily with my mother trailing in behind him. Without warning, I see the glass bottle come flying in my direction only to shatter on the wall behind me. 

"You stupid whore," Jack growls out. I try to shrink myself back but find myself cornered. "I told you to clean the house, and what did you do? You sat here and did nothing! YOU'RE USELESS" He shouts and stomps towards me. He starts kicking me over, and over, and over again. 

I don't cry, I don't scream, I don't look to my mother for help. That wouldn't do anything anyway. My "mother" if you could even call her that, sits there staring at me being beaten... laughing. 

Yes! 

You heard me right.

Laughing. 

She stopped caring a long time ago.

All I can hope is that one day I can escape this hell and find my father and brothers.

Leah made me move every 6 months since she kidnapped me, and before you ask, yes I remember my brothers and father and I know that my mother kidnapped me. I've been trying to escape her since I was 9, but that only led to more beatings. 

Most of my worst beatings were thanks to Jack, when he came along, the torture I was experiencing amplified tremendously. The number of times that he, along with Leah, has almost killed me is too many to count.

I'm brought back from my thoughts when I feel Jack stop kicking me. 

That's not normal. Usually, a beating lasts much longer than that. 

I only realize what's happening when I hear him unbuckling his belt. I sit up ignoring the pain and try to run. Leah grabs me and pushes me back down kicking me with her pointed heels for good measure. 

"You deserve it," Leah says 

I look around frantically, trying to find an escape route. Struggling away from Leah's hold I realize I'm trapped. That's when I see it...

The shards from the vodka bottle lay scattered next to me on the floor. As Jack walks up to me I stop struggling and form my plan.

As soon as he gets close enough to touch me I flail around wildly, slashing away with the shard of glass in my hand. 

He screams in pain and backs away. I don't even check to see what I've hit, I take my opportunity to elbow Leah and escape her grasp. 

As soon as I do I run for the door. Just as I touch the handle, I hear the sound of a gun going off. 

After the noise sounds, I feel liquid dripping down my leg. I look behind me to see Jack lying on the floor with the gun in hand.

He had shot me in the thigh.

But,

I couldn't stop.

I flung the door open and ran out of the house.

The only time I got to leave the house was to go shopping for them and to go to work. You may be thinking why didn't you try to escape, I did but they always had someone nearby who would almost beat me to death. I have had something up my sleeve recently but I can't wait for that plan to be ready. I've let them beat me I will not let them take the last bit of dignity I have left. 

Without a clue of where I was going, I started running.

I ended up in the middle of an intersection.
The last thing I remember is a car screeching to a halt in front of me, then darkness.

I regain consciousness as they're wheeling me into the hospital.

There is a doctor over my head yelling orders.

A nurse looks down at me and notices I woke up.

"She's awake" the nurse chirps

"I'm Veronica. What's your name, sweetie?" she asks hurriedly

As I lose consciousness I manage to whisper out

"Vi-Viola Calvetti"

Her eyes widen as she stops dead in her tracks then, I am consumed by darkness yet again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey y'all, there were some things in here that I wanted to change, I've been reading over the chapter and realized I didn't like some parts and had gotten some feedback saying the same so I've modified it a bit to make it less descriptive. Hope you enjoy!