Chapter 11

(Recap) 

Roni's POV

"Thank you, mom" And at that, I look at her, shocked...

****************************************************************************

Viola's POV

I crush Roni into a hug thinking about the way she defended me. No one has ever done that for me before. Without even thinking about it I mumble out 

"Thank you, mom" I feel her tense, and immediately my eyes go wide. Maybe she didn't want me to call her that. Maybe she doesn't want to be my mom. I mean I know she said she thought of me as her daughter, but maybe she meant stepdaughter.  

I look up suddenly feeling very embarrassed and before I realize it, I've run out the door. I barely make it 50 feet before someone catches up to me. I expect it to be Antonio or Dad but am shocked when I'm spun around to face Roni. 

She must run really fast to have beaten Dad and Antonio who are just now catching up.

They get within 20 feet and she puts up a hand telling them to stay back. I watch as they nod seeing the stern look on her face and back up, getting into the car to give us privacy but obviously still watching. I'm surprised that Antonio actually went without a fight but I ignore the thought. I look down at my shoes waiting for her to start yelling at me for calling her mom or for running. 

"Viola," She says sniffling seemingly trying to catch her breath. I keep my eyes down. 

She squats down to where my eyes have averted themselves forcing me to make eye contact with her. As I do I see soft subtle tear marks cascading down her face and realize that she wasn't out of breath she was crying. I immediately frown, upset that I made her cry. 

Quickly I take notice of the rest of her expression which is stern and upset. Her hand suddenly comes into my view. I flinch violently shutting my eyes expecting a slap. 

I wait for it to come, but it never does. Instead, I feel her hand hesitantly come up to caress my cheek. Slightly wiping my tears. 

"Viola, open your eyes, please," She croaks out, voice cracking slightly. 

I do as she asks. She grabs my hands tightly and assuringly and makes eye contact with me. 

"I would n-," her voice cracks. Clearing her throat she starts again. "Viola, I w-would never hurt you." She says starting strong but slowly softening her voice in the end as her tears start to fall faster. 

I try to talk but all I can do is nod feeling upset with myself for assuming she was like Leah. Having averted my eyes getting distracted she carefully tilts my chin up and towards her making me face her. 

"Now," she whispers wiping some of my tears then hers. "Why did you run away in there?" she asks looking hurt. 

I attempt to look down again but she steadies her hand on my chin, effectively stopping me. 

"I-i," I stumble, embarrassed trying to think up an excuse.

I feel more tears forming in my eyes "I-i, shouldn't have s-said w-what I said," I whisper pulling my face out of her grip moving slightly away before being pulled back by my wrist. Groaning slightly I turn. 

"Viola, listen to me and be honest," She begins sternly. "Do you mean that you shouldn't have said it because you didn't mean it, or because you think that I didn't want you to say it," she asks, a hopeful look in her eyes. My eyes widen. How did she know!? I look down, once again, staring at my shoes.