nine

"You know, Anastasia," he says, as he rises from his seat, strolling towards me. "You are quite beautiful."

What a cliché: a compliment from the future high king. He doesn't seem to want much more than a gorgeous face by his side; he is indeed not fit for a king.

"Thanks?" I say it in a respectful tone that comes naturally to me.

He smiles charmingly before taking my hand in his and leading me back to the chair where I had previously sat. As I sit down, silently obeying him like a puppy waiting for a treat, he makes a gesture towards it. It's quite degrading.

"Now, about our marriage."

The word marriage drew my attention straight away and hearing him say it was unsettling, to say the least.

"The marriage, yes..." I droop my head and slump into the chair, bracing myself for a long conversation.

Almost everything he said went straight into one ear and out the other; he talked about the law, how he'll make most of the decisions, and how he'll have authority over me in this so-called marriage. One of the minor details that caught my eye was the influence I wielded over everyone in Elfhame except him. It meant that not even Cardan could speak to me in a demeaning way, because it would just mean he would get sent to the tower.

Love never populated much of my headspace, I've always seen it as a waste of time and it implies emotional connection and other vulnerabilities along with it. So it doesn't matter who I married; nonetheless, Dain is an overall jerk, and I loathe him for picking me solely on the basis of my appearance since he must've automatically assumed I'm too stupid to understand the ruling of a kingdom.

However this does advantage me, if he believes that I'm stupid then I shouldn't do anything to change his belief, that way he wouldn't at all see me as a threat to his ruling. If I could use my position on the Royal council to my advantage then I'll hold a very powerful opportunity.

Parties will be held almost every day at the castle in honor of the coronation, which is only a few weeks away. Everyone will be invited. I'm sure Taryn will be overjoyed to hear that because she's never refused a drink before. Especially the more expensive and extravagant ones served at the castle.

A servant enters my room without knocking or informing me beforehand. She offers me a tired bow and informs me that lunch is ready. "Take the rest of the day off, you seem weary," I say as I approach her placing a supporting hand on her shoulder.

She sighs and expresses her gratitude in numerous ways, reflecting on how they treat these human labor slaves, who are not compensated and are made to work all day without complaint. It's a vile act.

After dressing in one of the magnificent silk gowns they had prepared in my room's wardrobe, I make my way to the dining area. The first thing I saw was the empty chair next to Dain's, which happened to be my seat. The second thing was no other than Cardan, he would seem to be confused, I don't think his family informed him of this.

As I take a seat at the table I hope I won't be eating at for the rest of my earthly existence, I put on a phony smile.

"Good afternoon, Anastasia," greeted King Eldred, his complexion almost as grey as ash and wrinkles covering every aspect of his face.

I'm having dinner with a corpse. I wanted to say, but I didn't for obvious reasons. One of those reasons is because I'd be the body he'd be dining on.

"Your Highness, good afternoon." I say flashing a toothy grin, turning to face Dain, "Good morning to you too Prince Dain."

I'm willfully blind to Cardan's existence, and he doesn't appear to be bothered by it as much as I expected. He seems to be preoccupied with cleaning the smudged kohl from beneath his eyes, clearly last night's acquaintances left a mark.

The king clears his throat to make an announcement not long after everyone begins shoveling the delightfully scented food down their parched throats.

"As most of you are aware, Dain and Anastasia will be crowned king and queen of Elfhame in the near future."

Cardan almost chokes on his drumstick shaped chicken when he hears those words, coughing three times before summoning the courage to speak.

"Pardon?"

Because of his astonished expression, I was about to burst out laughing. I assumed that because he is a member of the royal family, he would be aware of the situation, but evidently not.

He clears his throat and raises his hand. "Excuse me father," he says, "I need to use the restroom, may I?"

"You may," the king says as he dismisses him with a wave of his hand.

He glared at me, it was obvious he wanted to talk.

"Come to think of it... I actually need to use the ladies' room as well," I say with a slight smile and the king gives me a nod of approval.

Cardan's displeasure was not suppressed, despite the fact that he has never been one to display emotion. Cardan's response made me grin a little, and it was exactly what I needed on a Sunday morning.

They continue to talk incessantly while Cardan and I exit the room, my gaze falling on his tail, which he usually tries to hide, but not this time, I presume.

As soon as we reach the corridor just outside the door, I come to a halt.

"What do you want Cardan?" I say this while seeming to be annoyed by his behavior.

He turns around, his nostrils flaring, and asks, "What do I want?" Perhaps I misjudged his rage. "No, what the fuck do you want?"

His fists are gripped at his sides as he walks towards me. "I have no idea what you're doing, Anastasia, but you're not going to get away with it."

"Perhaps instead of throwing a fit, you could ask your brother, Dain, why he picked me to be his wife," I answered, without moving even though Cardan was only inches away. My body became hot, but I was able to conceal every trace of it.

"How could my brother wish to marry such a pitiful mortal as yourself?" He inquires, but I don't believe he is seeking an answer.

"Listen, I don't want to be here, and seeing your face every day isn't something I'm looking forward to."

I lean against the wall, bored with what I'm doing because it's the same every time. Arguments, banter, small talk, and more arguments... It's monotonous.

"I don't like this any more than you do, I was forced into it—"

"—Can you shut up?" he rudely interrupts.

"Well if you want me to shut up so bad why don't you just shut me up yourself?" I blurted out unknowingly, I undoubtedly should not have said that, god what is wrong with me.

I find his face looming over mine and his arm on one side of the wall sustaining my weight in a split second. His rage fades, replaced by an emotion I can't quite put my finger on, but if I'm not mistaken, it's lust.

"I'm tired of faeries," he stated, his eyes protruding mine. "Never had a taste of mortal desire before."

This scenario swiftly worsened. He's angry one moment and lusty the next... seriously pick one.

I keep my mouth shut, but my gaze is fixed on him.

"Oh, so you've decided to keep silent now, hm?" he scoffs, "when my body is so close to yours and my sight trails from your eyes down to your lips."

He leaned down, his lips barely brushing against my ears, his steamy breath sending heat through my skin,

"Is that really all it takes to silence that pretty mouth of yours?"

Even though I despise him from the bottom of my heart, a sequence of shivers shoots through my entire body. I despise myself for giving him so much control over me; it's ludicrous.

His lips linger somewhere about my neck, causing my body to tremble. As soon as his lips touch my neck, I feel my breath hitch in my throat and my knees weaken. I am weak.
Not for him, but for his touch, for his body.

And the worst part is I enjoy it.