sixteen

"A ball?" I question distastefully. "Seems a little too much for a pre-coronation celebration, no?"

"You may think so, but it has been this way for many years before you set foot on Elfhame," he said as he received a box from one of the guards and set it at the door. "Tradition, if you may call it that."

"I see," I ponder, my gaze falling onto him as he gracefully opens the box, pulling out a breathtaking off white gown, embroidered in many pearls and diamonds. It was everything but subtle. It looked like something a queen would wear.

"Oh this would look breathtaking on you, my dear." He says, picking it up and turning to face me with it. He lifts it just inches above the ground to avoid getting it dirty.

"On me?" I ask, taken aback.

"Who else would I have bought such a wonderful dress for if not my wife?" He laughs, and I too find myself giggling at his comment.

"It's just so..." I walk up to him and run a finger over a Pearl that dangled at the neck, "Is this real?"

"Well of course it is," he says, maintaining the same smile he's had ever since I walked into the room. "I am almost insulted you'd think otherwise."

"Oh I'm sorry, I never wish to insult you, my lord," I say, my eyes not lifting off the dress, "it's just absolutely mesmerizing."

"Oh please, I merely jest." His thumb reaches for my chin and lifts it so that I have no other choice but to stare deep into his golden eyes. "A queen, deserves to be treated like one."

I smile softly as he continues to speak, "half of Elfhame will be here to attend this ball tonight, so I suggest you do what you need to be prepared. I must head out and make some preparations, farewell dear."

He bows with her hands in his and places a gentle kiss on her knuckles. "Goodbye, my lord."

—————————

I stood in front of the full-length mirror, taking in the sight of myself in the beautiful white dress that Dain had bought for me. The intricate embroidery of pearls and diamonds on the bodice and hemline made me feel like a queen. The tight corset emphasized my waist and gave me an elegant posture.

I reached up to touch the diamond earrings that Dain had given me for one of the previous balls, feeling the familiar weight of them in my ears. They sparkled in the light and added to the overall beauty of my outfit.

My hair was styled in an intricate updo, with a few loose curls framing my face. One of the nymphs had styled it, and she did a wonderful job. I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement as I looked at myself in the mirror. I've never felt so elegant before. As much as I had hated the idea of marrying a complete stranger and living in the same home as Cardan, the delicacies, however, were something I could get used to.

I slipped on my white satin pumps and picked up my clutch before making my way to the door. As I descended the stairs, I saw Dain waiting for me at the bottom. He looked handsome in his white suit, and his eyes widened as he took in my appearance.

"My dear Anastasia," he said, his voice low and husky. "You look breathtaking."

I smiled, feeling a blush rise to my cheeks. "Thank you. You picked out the perfect dress."

He took my hand and we stepped into the ballroom, i immediately felt like I had been transported to a magical realm. The room was filled with a dizzying array of creatures, all dancing and twirling to the enchanting music. There were fairies with delicate wings flitting about, their laughter filling the air. Satyrs with their goat-like features played lively tunes on their pipes, while mermaids swam gracefully in a nearby pool, their tails shimmering in the light.