seventeen

CLANG!

I can hardly focus on training — my mind constantly wandering off to yesterday's waltz with Cardan. His drunk self truly has no filter, spewing out whatever he wishes to with that foul mouth of his. I wish I could just seal it shut whenever I please.

"Watch it!" As The Ghost tried to knock me off my feet, I pried my sword against his, creating thunderous echoes against the damp lawn. I pressed my toes further into the grass, desperate to maintain my balance.

He swung his sword again and again, forcing me to duck and parry each of his blows. I strike him with my sword again, but his leg swoops mine off the grass, sending me crashing to the ground, my armor clanging against the damp soil. I groaned in pain, my hand instinctively grabbing my lower back.

"You're so predictable." He remarks, smirking as he offers a helping hand, which my pride refuses to accept. I stand up with sheer stubbornness, brushing the dirt off my palm with the tip of my sword.

"Stop being such an ass." I snarl, venting my ire. He rolls his eyes and pushes an arrow into my hands. "I'm only training you because I believe you have promise." His sword tumbles onto the ground, and I gaze up at him, perplexed.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" I shake my head, still holding the thin and sharp arrow in my hands.

He pulls out a bow from the bag beneath him, it's big, heavy, and as dark as the dead of night.

"We're doing bows and arrows now, how promising..." I grumbled, sarcasm leaking from my tone and a sigh escaping my lips.

"It's simple. " He begins, positioning the arrow on the bow. His hot breath brushes against my neck as he stands looming over me. My focus is hindered by his closeness. "This is how you hold it." He places the bow and arrow in my hands. "If you hold it any other way, the arrow will not go far. It will simply drop at your feet."
He draws the bowstring, aiming at a tree in the distance. He releases the string, and the arrow soars towards the tree, embedding in its branch. My brows rise in amazement.

"Well, I guess it's not that hard then," I say turning around and I notice his staring at my ring, I hesitate and try to break the silence, "Should I try?"

"Yeah...Yeah, go ahead." He says nodding his head, his eyes still peering at my ring.

"What's that?" He stops me, asking about the ring Dain gave me. "It's just a ring," I chuckle sheepishly, though he still looks suspicious of it. "I know it's a ring, I mean...Whose ring is it?"

"It's just an old ring of mine, why all the questions?" I retort, twisting and turning it around my finger while looking at him.

"Nothing...I'm sorry, just thought it looked quite familiar." He spoke out, shaking his head slightly with a sigh. I let out my own relieved sigh at the fact that he let the matter at hand go — he's worked with Dain for a few years so I would not be surprised if he recognized this ring as his.

"Okay," I say, taking the bow from his hands and positioning it just as he taught me, "Like this?"

"Yeah, perfect."

I retrieve the arrow from the ground and secure it to the bow. I pull the bowstring while closing one eye to ensure that I am fully focused on my goal. I let go of the string and it flies almost as fast as the Ghost's arrow, crashing into the tree next to the one Ghost's arrow ripped into.

"You are one quick learner I have to say," he compliments, both his brows going up.

"Well, what can I say, when you don't have many memories, there's always room for more, right?" I chuckle as I hand him the bow and arrow, then grab the bottle of water next to the Ghost's bag, I unclasp it, drinking it whole.

"God," I sigh, placing the bottle down as I wipe the liquid off my lips, "I can't believe the coronation is in a few days, I won't be attending trainings for a while...I have other matters to attend to."

"Well, we'll see you at the coronation then," he says the corner of his mouth twisting into a smirk, "Oh, and wear something nice will you?"

"Haha, very funny."

—-
A/N :

You guys probably hate me by now heh ... anyways yeah filler chapter I'm still sorting out this book's damn plot cuz when I was writing it back in 2020 I had an idea and now I have a different idea because the old idea straight up sucked so bare with me!!