Chapter 4: A Film

Bella

When Ariadne said we were going to the movies, I didn't know the boys were coming too. We were perched at a table outside the theater, eating ice cream until our movie started. I nearly choked on my kids-size scoop of mint chocolate chip when I saw the three of them walking our way.

"Who invited the boys?" I said, accusingly.

"I did," Ariadne shrugged. "Why?"

"Ugh. Some warning would have been nice," I rolled my eyes, throwing my napkin into my still full cup.

"Agreed," Robyn said shyly, smoothing her sunflower print dress.

"My study schedule only allows a few free days before the MCAT," Ariadne explained. "So, when I have time, I want to see everyone."

My sister was a nerd. She loved studying—she loved making color coordinated study schedules for everything even if they were all different shades of purple. She was also taking the MCAT early just because she could.

"Ladies," my brother said, ruffling Ariadne's hair. He reached over to do the same to me but when I shot him a death glare, he chuckled and retracted his hand. Then, he turned to Robyn with an icy gaze before speaking to her. "Hi."

"Hi Christian," she said, not even making eye contact. My brother stared at her long and hard for a second before looking away.

I barely registered Ariadne and Damon utterly ignoring one another when I felt rather than saw Francis stand next to me. He was only a year older but at least a foot taller and I wasn't even that short. Yet around him, I always felt insignificant, tiny, fragile, and breakable. It was why I was always on defense with him.

"Isabella," he said calmly. The slight French accent in his voice descended into a pit in my stomach and settled there. No one said my name the way he did. As much as I liked to hear it from his mouth, I despised how much he intimidated me.

"Duval."

"Good summer?"

"Lovely," I replied acerbically, tossing my hair over my shoulder so it hit his chest. "You?"

"Delightful."

"Killing baby elephants?" I smiled sweetly, still not looking at him.

"Pandas," he corrected.

"Ah, my mistake."

"You seem to have a vested interest in what I do with my time."

"Please," I scoffed. "I don't give a fuck."

"Seems like it." A lazy hint of humor touched his low voice.

I turned my head to glare at him, but he wasn't even looking at me, just looking at a group of girls my age who were already ogling him. I chose to ignore why that brought a bitter taste in my mouth.

"I thought fun activities repel you?" I arched an eyebrow.

"What makes you say that?"

I waved a hand at his general demeanor, jeans and a black shirt that hugged his chest tightly. Even though his attire was casual, he was anything but. He always looked sophisticated and elegant, even though I knew he didn't come from the same kind of money the rest of us did. It was like he was meant to be born in wealth but wasn't.

"I'm a huge fan of films," he commented dryly.

Films? "Sorry to disappoint, we're watching a movie. And it's a rom-com," I pouted sarcastically.