Chapter 29: Trip and Fall

Bella

Adjusting the hem of my tight light pink dress, I brushed a non-existent piece of lint off the velvet fabric. I'd curled my hair to perfection–after straightening it initially because I was so anxious about coming to this party. It was New Year's Eve and we were heading to the Hale's for their annual celebration of massive proportions. Maria Hale threw the best parties in the world–I wanted to learn everything from her.

Mom and Dad were coming separately. Christian and Ariadne usually liked to come alone so they didn't have to be in a car with Dad. Ariadne was only home for the holidays but still, they were never on good terms. It was better to play it safe.

I snapped the mirror of my compact shut after checking the literal angle of my winged liner and ensuring that my lipstick was still intact. Then, I touched every single one of my curls to make sure nothing had moved.

"What are you so nervous about?" Ariadne asked from the front seat. "God, I've never seen you like this."

"I'm not nervous," I scoffed.

"Yes, you are," Christian said from the driver's seat. "I can feel you tapping against the goddamn floor. It's driving me insane."

Rolling my eyes, I adjusted the heel of my nude Louboutins, my anklet on display.

"It is because of a certain French boy?" Ariadne's eyes twinkled and she nudged me, reaching to try to tickle me. I flushed all the way to my hairline.

"You're going to ruin your dress," I swatted her hand away and she threw her head back, laughing. She was wearing a purple sweater dress, chocolate brown uninhibited waves falling down her back.

"Come on, do you like him?" She teased. "You have to tell your sister."

Christian rubbed a hand over his jaw, hiding a smile.

"Leave me alone," I grumbled, tossing my hair back.

"She totally does," Ariadne's eyes gleamed. "Christian, come on. She does, right?"

His eyes darted to mine in the rear-view mirror.

"Do you?" He asked, calm and authoritative.

Like seemed like a disservice to describe what I felt for Francis Duval. At this point, I breathed for him. I wanted him around me all the goddamn time. I craved his scent, his touch, his warmth all around me. I'd do anything to see him smile.

I'd cross oceans just to play a game with him. I'd move mountains to feel his fingers run across my cheek. I'd intentionally fail math just to have him teach it to me with all the patience in the world. I'd give a limb to hear him speak French to me. I'd happily give up pink if I could stare into those greens. I'd do anything just to feel like I could call Francis Duval mine.

Somewhere in between, my body and mind and maybe even heart got confused. Because when Francis Duval came around me, it was no longer just a flutter between my legs, it was a flutter in my chest. Well really, a flutter would be very mild—it was violent, roaring, and endless every time he was around me. Severe, concerning heart palpitations.

Sure, it was divine when he was licking me, touching me, or buried deep inside me but when he was just holding me, talking to me, or laughing with me, somehow... that felt better. I wanted that all the time.

"Yes," I confessed quietly. I always did whatever Christian asked. He was my big brother. Ariadne smiled, holding my hand.

We pulled up to the front of the Hale estate, parking in front of the enormous doors. Instead of getting out, Christian turned around too. He scanned my face for a moment when something like awareness set in.