Chapter 9: Bitter

Bella

The day cruise was going to be just lounging around–which was exactly what I needed since jumping into a pool past midnight wearing barely anything had left me sniffling and lethargic for most of the day.

Ariadne raised an eyebrow when she saw me walk down to breakfast in jeans and a long-sleeve shirt. I hated that the first thing I noticed was that Francis was not at the table.

"Hate to break it to you, but not the best way to get a tan," she said, narrowing her eyes on me.

"I packed my swimsuit," I assured her, setting my bag down next to me.

"You look sick, little diva," Damon frowned at me.

"Stop, Damon, you're making me blush," I said acerbically, sipping some orange juice from Ariadne's glass.

"What the hell did you do last night?" Christian pressed the back of his hand to my forehead. He looked genuinely concerned.

"Who the hell did you do last night?" I deadpanned. 

Christian shrugged. "Fuck if I remember."

"Are you okay, Bella?" Ariadne leaned in, pressing yet another hand to my neck to check my temperature. She frowned, chewing her lip. 

"I'm fine. But you know who does look sick?" I asked, nodding my head to Robyn. She still looked beautiful in a sunflower print dress but her hair was tied up all the way, sunglasses firmly on, and a frown on her face. She hadn't even put any makeup on, her freckles on full display.

"Oh hello there," Ariadne said unnecessarily loudly when Robyn sat between Damon and Christian. My sister was grinning, ready to stir up some drama at the table. She was shy around everyone else but so sassy when she wanted to be. 

"Please for the love of God." Robyn pressed her fingers to her temple. "Inside voices."

"We're outside," Damon said calmly.

"How many body shots did you hand out last night?" I grinned.

"Too many," Robyn shook her head.

"You need to start charging," Ariadne winked. "People line up around the block for you." Beside me, Christian tensed in his chair a little uncertainly but kept his eyes on his phone.

"Perfect, all in one location makes it easier to kill them all at once," Damon grumbled.

"I just don't understand how you look like this during the day," I said, waving my hand to her external innocent look. "And then do a 180º once the sun sets."

"College," Robyn replied matter-of-factly. "And a lifetime of living in an overprotective household with Anthony and Damon Hale."

"It's the most innocent ones who wreak the most havoc," Ariadne said thoughtfully.

"Where the hell were you last night, by the way?" I asked Ariadne. Damon's eyes flicked to her immediately, flexing his hand as he waited for her to answer.

"Practice exam," Ariadne said around a bite of French toast. Ariadne was taking the MCAT early. Damon visibly relaxed. He was so in love, it was almost pathetic.

"So, did you wreak havoc on that hottie last night?" Ariadne asked Robyn.

"Can we please not?" Damon groaned.

"It was disappointing," Robyn said, ignoring her brother entirely. "No stamina. Like whatsoever."

Damon promptly stood up and walked to the buffet as an escape.