☆thirteen☆

Mae had sent Thomas up to the lookout, deflecting all the questions from the other boys, muttering something about "girl stuff". They were restlessly waiting for Teresa to come down, but Mae assured them that she needed a minute. 

"How come Thomas gets to go up there? What's so special about him?" A random Glader called.

Newt silenced him with a harsh look, then turned to address the whole crowd. 

"Just leave them alone. She'll come down when she's ready, and you all have jobs to do!" He ordered, sending the boys sauntering back to their respective duties. Minho, Newt and Mae were left standing below the look out, waiting.

"I think we should give them some space. Mae, do you want to come with me to grab some fertilizer? Zart's been buggin' me to get some more." Newt suggested, swinging his arm around her shoulder to distract her from the conversation taking place thirty above them. She nodded, her gaze still focused on the tower as Newt gently pulled her toward the forest.

"I'll walk with you guys. I gotta go to the Map room anyways," Minho caught up to them, falling into the same walking pace as the duo heading for the trees. 

"Hey! Newt!" Thomas's voice stopped the group abruptly, and they all stopped to hear what he had to say. He was looking down from the top of the building structure, his hands cupped around his mouth in an attempt to make his voice louder. Teresa was standing shyly behind him, eyeing Mae, Minho and Newt. 

"We have an idea!" 

__ 

Mae sat next to Jeff, Clint standing right behind, her eyes glued to Alby's writhing figure. He was laying uncomfortably on a cot in the Med-Jack hut, occasionally grunting and screaming random phrases. His veins were bulging purple all over his skin, his eyes squeezed shut. He had been like this ever since he was stung, all though it was much worse the first day.

Newt, Thomas and Teresa stood near by, discussing Thomas's suggestion. When Teresa had come up in the box, she had two vials of an unidentified serum in her pocket. When they were talking, they had come to a conclusion that the serum could be used to help Alby. 

"We don't know who sent it- or why it came up in the box with you," Newt gestured to Teresa, holding the vial firmly in his hand. "I mean, for all we know, this thing could kill him." He continued. He was clearly close with his leader, and didn't want to try anything that would put in him any more pain than he was already in. 

Thomas glanced at Alby, taking in his fragile state, then back at Newt. "He's already dying," He explained, defending his case. Teresa stayed quiet, catching Mae's eye with a nervous expression. "How could this possibly make it any worse? It's worth a try." Thomas coaxed, trying his best to convince Newt to trust him. 

Newt shifted his gaze to Alby, his friend, who was suffering so much. He stared intensely at him for a moment, trying not to flinch at each grunt and unsettling sound he made, then glanced at Mae, who had an emotionless, bare expression on her face as she peered at the dirty floor. 

"Mae, what do you think?" He asked, his voice slightly cracking as emotion spilled through his tone. 

The girls head jerked up at his question, and it took her a second to collect her thoughts. Her lips parted slightly and her forehead creased as she made up her mind.

"I think we should try it." She finally stated. "He can't get much worse than this. And there's no way we can banish him. We need to do something," Newt nodded along with her answer, taking one last brainstorm before he came up with the verdict. 

"Alright." He stepped back, away from the cot, allowing Teresa and Thomas to come forward. Mae watched, her head resting in her palms as Thomas approached Alby, gripping the serum in his right hand, standing over him like he was about to preform a life saving surgery. He took in one last gulp of air, before holding Alby down firmly and preparing to plunge the serum into his left shoulder.