☆nineteen☆

"Gally you don't have to do this," Mae pleaded, but the Keeper of the Builders grip on her arm only tightened. She watched silently as he fumbled with the door of the Slammer, too exhausted to protest further. He had already forced Teresa and Thomas in their own separate cells, Teresa having acted quickly and given Thomas the same serum Alby received when he was stung.

"I'm sorry. But I'm not letting you and Thomas and Teresa screw up what we've built any longer." Gally said firmly, finally swinging the entrance to the Slammer open.

Gally didn't throw her in there forcefully, having at least that much respect for the girl, but stood above her to make sure she didn't slip through the opening.

"Gally, I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you guys, or ruin your home." Mae stressed, lowering herself to sit on the dirty ground that obviously hadn't been tended to in a long time. The boy stared at her for a second, a hurt look crossing his face in a flash.

"I'm sorry." He whispered breathlessly before turning and leaving her to her own racing thoughts.

Mae tossed and turned on the hard ground, not having any sense of time whatsoever as she laid awake. She was worried for her friends, and she had no idea where Newt, Chuck or Minho were. She was so anxious to see if the serum had worked for Thomas, or if he was in excruciating pain right at that moment. Thankfully, she didn't hear him screaming, or yelling out from the other makeshift jail cells.

She was terrified for what was to come in the upcoming days. Would the doors close? Would they remain open, and would the Grievers ravage the Glade until every last one of them were gone?

It was too much for her to comprehend, and she couldn't stop the tears from spilling out of her tired eyes. She brought her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs, just letting herself break down for a moment.

Mae couldn't help but wonder if this was really her fault. No one else but her sister and Thomas had the same visions and dreams that she had been having, and based on what she saw in them, it could be possible that she was the cause of all this hellfire.

That thought itself terrified her, and she sobbed quietly in the corner of her small confined cage-like cell. After she finished letting out her stream of emotions, she found that she felt better. She wiped her tears with her dirty sleeve and leaned against the rigid wall, finally being able to close her eyes gently.

__

"I WON THAT TIME!" Mae teased, sliding to a stop, using her sneakers to balance on the concrete running track. Minho did the same not three seconds later, scowling as he crossed his arms.

"Come on. Admit it," The girl laughed in a sing song voice, doubling over with her hands on her knees to catch her breath. Thomas and Teresa were sat on the grass next to them, watching the equally competitive kids race.

"Fine." Minho grumbled, turning away from her and strutting back to the place where they had started.

Mae reached behind her head and removed the hair tie from her hair, letting it fall gently onto her shoulders as she lowered herself to sit next to her sister and friend.

"What are you doing?" Minho asked.

"Sitting."

"You're not going to race anymore?" He whined. The girl laughed and shook her head.

"Give her a break, Minho." Thomas chimed in, grinning.

"Yeah, it's not like we get free time a lot, she doesn't want to spend all her time proving how much faster she is than you," Teresa added. Minho was fuming at this point, as he ran his hand through his hair.