☆twenty-eight☆ (before the maze)

"𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑘𝑖𝑑𝑠 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑒 𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑒, 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑏𝑜𝑦 𝐼'𝑣𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑚𝑒𝑡

𝗔𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮𝘁 𝗺𝘆 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴,❞

Will and Mae worked on the Maze almost everyday. Programming, creating, perfecting. At first, they had been excited. Dr. Paige and Dr. Leavitt choose them for the task, along with Teresa and Thomas.

But as the days went on, and they finished with the Maze, Mae realized what she was actually helping with.

Her and her bestfriend were moving along the process to put their other friends in danger.

Like Teresa and Thomas, Mae and Will had been introduced to each other about a few months after she met her first friends one faithful night. Will was the same as her, isolated from the others- given tasks that he didn't want to complete.

The reason they were introduced later was due to the fact that Thomas and Teresa weren't making fast progress on the Maze- they needed help. So, the Chancellor and his team concluded that the other Agnes sister and another boy who was smart enough to help take the project further would be a great solution.

Will and Mae quickly became fast friends- they shared wit, compassion, stubbornness. As they completed their 'special project', they grew more and more suspicious of WICKED's intentions. Their worries were confirmed when they saw George get stung, and go half out of his mind. Alby was forced to end his life, a traumatic event that Mae could barely stand to watch.

Fuming, the pair demanded answers from the WICKED supervisors. But they provided the same response as always.

"We're taking care of it."

"We'll fix it."

"Remember, this is for the greater good."

Later that night, Will and Mae were meeting in an old storage closet, the same one they used to meet their friends who were now trapped in that insufferable Maze. They sat close to each other, trying not to knock over any supplies and get themselves caught.

"We need a plan, and fast. Before someone else... Ends up like George," Mae whispered, trying to push the image of George's crazed eyes and bloody hands from her head.

"I know. But what are we supposed to do? WICKED won't listen to us." Will said, resting his head in his palms. Mae nodded, looking straight into the eyes of her friend. It was virtually impossible to think of anything.