☆eighteen☆

Mae screamed out in anguish, thrashing around in the Griever's clutch like a maniac, trying to wriggle herself free.

Thomas, Newt, Alby and Minho were on their feet, trying to get closer to the Griever and to their friend, who was being lifted farther away from the Council room through the gap in the roof. Teresa was on the floor still, shielding Chuck from the chaos in front of them.

The creature hadn't attempted to hurt her yet, it was just shaking her around like she was some sort of ragdoll.

Mae's head was spinning and she couldn't see anything due to the constant movement and darkness, however she had her hands glued to her waist where the Grievers robotic claws were digging into her skin. She was trying to pry the monster off of herself, but it wasn't doing much good at all. Quickly she tried to grab hold of part of the broken roof, stretching her arms as far as they could go and trying to ignore the searing pain in her muscles.

Minho was the only one to see her clutching onto the roof, and he moved cautiously closer to where she was grasping the wooden pole. He swiftly darted past the other boys who were reaching up at Mae from a different angle and came up to her. He stood up on his tippy-toes, and then took hold of her hands that had previously been holding on to the piece of wood that was attached to the Council room.

"Minho, I can't hold on anymore!" Mae cried to him, tears that had subconsciously formed in her eyes barely visible through the hair that blocked her gaze from him.

"I've got you!" He yelled back, squeezing her hands slightly as he used all his built up strength to keep her anchored. The sweat on his was hands was not helping the matter, whatsoever. By this point, Newt, Thomas and Alby had gotten the memo and moved over to where Minho was standing and holding onto Mae.

"Minho, we can't reach her! It's only you," Thomas said, as Minho was the only one who could fit in the opening where he was grasping Mae from, and if he moved, he might accidentally let go.

"I can't, Minho! Let me go!" Mae shouted, pain seeping through her tone.

His grip on her hands had loosened, and he knew it would slip away at any second.

"GET IT IN THE FACE! KICK, PUNCH, DO WHATEVER SO IT CAN'T SEE YOU, JUST AIM FOR THE FACE!" He advised, his face distorted due to the strenuous activity. In a flash, the connection between their hands was broken, and Minho was thrown back several feet toward Chuck and Teresa due to the impact,

Mae's friends watched in horror as she was finally carried out of view from the hut, which was now destroyed.

It was quiet for a few moments, as no one moved a muscle or said anything. The sounds that were coming from the rest of the Glade were no matter to them, as they were all just stunned to silence over another loss.

__

Mae caught one last glimpse of the only people she ever remembered caring about shouting out to her, before the Griever retracted its limb with her in it's clutch.

Minho's words to her rung in her ears, and she tried desperately to identify where she was, and where the Griever's other body parts were. The creature had taken her further from the Council room and closer to one of the openings to the Maze, and she knew it was preparing to either rip her to shreds, or sting her and leave her to insanity.

Mae finally saw the monsters face clearly for the first time. It was more terrifying than she had thought, it looked like a mutated version of a slug. It had several pairs of beady black eyes, and a mouth with rows and rows of razor sharp teeth, just waiting to sink into her skin.

The Griever was bringing her closer to it's face, shrieking and making unsettling sounds as it did.

GET IT IN THE FACE!