☆thirty-one☆

Tension in the air grew as the Gladers frantically attempted to open the door blocking them from their perceived freedom, but it was no use. Apparently the person they'd stolen the key card from didn't have access to the outside world.

Thomas turns his head away from the door, prompting the rest of the kids to do the same. Rat man and a posse of guards were stomping down the hall, ready to shut down their chance at freedom once again.

Thomas let the key card drop from his hands, turning all his attention onto Janson as he gripped his launcher tightly. Mae watched as he ever so slightly moved toward the older man- holding his weapon as if he would fire at any moment. She knew he was being hot headed, and she worried what Ratman might do if he did decide to fire, so she leaned down and picked the card from the floor.

Minho's hand found her shoulder, and he watched as she tried desperately to slide the card through the monitor so they could escape, while the rest of the Gladers watched whatever was happening with Thomas.

"Open this door, Janson!" He demanded, his voice echoing throughout the hallway. Mae glanced up from the door for a moment to see Janson with his hands up, and the guards with their weapons and shields up in defense.

"You really don't want me to," Janson responded, shaking his head in an effort to calm the riled up teenagers.

Thomas had a similar look in his eyes as the time when they'd escaped the maze- determined, brave, and protective. Although this time, there was a glimmer that represented a fire Mae hadn't seen in him ever- he was angry. And she knew exactly how he was feeling.

Both the parties were moving closer to each other at this point, with the Gladers behind Thomas and the guards behind Janson. Not a very evenly matched battle.

"Open the god damn door!"

"Listen to me- I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing, but you kids won't last a day out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the cranks will." The older man tried to keep his cool. His voice was even and mature, unlike the younger boy, who had boiled past his breaking point.

Mae had stopped trying to open the door, and instead had her back pressed to it as she watched anxiously what was going to happen next. She hated how Thomas was always running straight into the face of danger, but she understood his fury.

"You have to believe me. I only want what's best for you," At those exact words, Mae knew precisely why Minho called him Rat man. He was a liar, and he stole everything from her and her friends.

Thomas and Janson were only a few feet away from each other by the point, and Thomas still had his launcher gripped firmly in his hands, aimed right for his enemy's head. His hands shook slightly and his breath was uneven, but he wasn't scared. He was filled with too much rage to stand still.

"Yeah let me guess. WICKED is good?" He dared breathlessly.

Those words again.

Janson's hands fell to his sides and his eyebrows creased slightly in confusion, but he quickly assessed himself as not to seem shocked. Mae's breath caught in her throat and as if on instinct, she glanced at her sister, who's eyes were glued to the people in front of them.

"You're not getting through that door, Thomas." Ratman said, as if he was talking to a toddler having a tantrum.

On cue, a subtle beeping sound emitted from the monitor on the door. Newt snapped his head around first, followed by the rest of the Gladers by the door, to see that the words had changed from 'denied' to 'accepted'.