'i got you'

Recently, you had been in a car accident and almost died, spending two weeks in the hospital

Recently, you had been in a car accident and almost died, spending two weeks in the hospital. That was only a month ago. Physically, you were recovered, but not mentally. You stayed up many nights, not being able to sleep because on the nights you slept, you had nightmares in which you would wake up almost screaming.

Tonight was one of those nights. You dreamt of the accident; you focused on the road ahead of you, trying not to let the pouring rain distract you from driving, as two very bright headlights are seen from your right. They headed straight toward you. You couldn't scream, your hands wouldn't move, and you couldn't take your foot off the gas. Suddenly, your vision was white.

      That's when you woke up. You were scared out of your mind, shaking uncontrollably. Tears began filling your eyes and you covered your mouth in attempt to stay quiet, not wanting to wake your boyfriend laying next to you.

You pulled your knees to your chest and hugged them tight, still crying and not being able to stop. Staying quiet was not an option anymore. You let it all out, crying hysterically now.

The sobbing woke Darrel up almost instantly. He didn't say anything, just wrapped his arms around you, laying a hand on your head and petting your hair very gently.

After two or three minutes, you had stopped with the hysterics.
"You can go back to sleep, Darry," you sniffled, "I'll be okay."
      "Shh," he wiped a tear from your cheek, " don't be like that. I got you." You began to cry again, very softly this time. He knew about the nightmares; the first couple times were the worst. Darry didn't know what to say or do, so he just hugged you and it seemed to work.
      Darry continued to stroke the back of your head as you wept into his chest.

"You'll be alright. I've got you," he whispered ever so quietly as you calmed down again. You sniffled and wiped your eyes and nose. "I'll be right back." Darry got up from the bed and you closed your eyes, still sat up in the bed. He came back with a glass of water and handed it to you.
      "Let's get back to sleep. We've got stuff in the mornin'," he said as he laid back down in his spot. You took a sip of the water and placed it on the side table. Laying back down next to Darry, you tucked your head into his neck and he held you for the rest of the night.

word count: 436