'don't worry about it honey'

Dallas had been MIA for almost a week now

Dallas had been MIA for almost a week now. He always did this. Just randomly disappeared for awhile. No one knew where he went; no one dared to ask. You cared, though. You were always worried sick about where he was and when he was coming back. He never left a note, nor told anyone.

      You laid on the Curtis' couch—you had become very fond of the gang from previous times that Dallas would disappear—and casually watched cartoons with the gang, all except Ponyboy and Johnny.

      Your mind was blank, bored as you stared at the television screen. The front door opened and your eyes stayed glued to the screen, unconcerned.

      Two-Bit walked into the room with a fresh beer in his hand, "Where you been, Dally?" You hadn't told anyone about being worried sick when Dallas left or how every day you wished that he would be back and never leave again. Recently you found yourself not caring as much when he left because it became more frequent.

      "Eh, nowhere interesting," Dallas replied.

      "So how come you were gone so long?" You didn't want to show you cared as much as you did, but it was difficult. You cared more than you wanted to. More than you thought was possible.

      "Don't worry about it honey."

      "Don't worry about it," you mumbled, "you can't just say 'don't worry about it' after being gone so long. What if people were worried? Huh?" Dallas stood up and was now standing next to you.

      "Let's talk outside," he began quietly.

      "No, I'm fine right here. I don't need to talk outside, I just need you to stop leavin' all the time."

      "I said, let's talk outside." Dallas said through a tight jaw. He grabbed your hand that was rested on the arm of the couch in attempt to lead you off the couch. You didn't move. Snatching your hand away, you crossed your arms over your chest. "Damnit, Y/n." He grabbed your wrist and forcefully dragged you outside.

      "I don't wanna be out here. It's cold." You avoided eye contact, knowing that you'd completely melt when you actually took a look at Dallas.

      He took off his jacket and wrapped it around your shoulders. "I don't want this-" You began taking the jacket off but Dallas protested.

      "Shut up and take it, would ya?" He glared at you, keeping the jacket over your shoulders.

      "Look," his New York accent was thick, "it don't matter where I went. I'm back now." He rubbed your shoulders.

      "Yes it does," you hesitated, "It does matter because you always leave and I never know how long you'll be gone. What if- what if you died and I didn't know? Huh? What if you died and I didn't know because I didn't know where you went?"

      "Babe, you don't make any sense." Dallas stuck a cigarette between his teeth and lit it.

      "Yes I do!" You shoved him, "I make plenty sense and you know it!" You wrapped the jacket around you tighter as a cold breeze flew by.

      "Y/n, babe," Dallas put his hands on your shoulders again.

      "Dallas, I-" you began to speak but he cut you off by pulling you in for a kiss. You kissed him back. As much as you wanted to continue arguing, you missed him dearly and were glad he was home. Dallas ran his big hands through your hair, twisting it between his fingers. Yours ran up and down his back, under his t-shirt. 

      "When's the wedding?" Two-bit shouted, standing on the porch holding the door open. Dallas pulled away from the kiss and grinned, shaking his head. You laughed and shooed Two-bit away. He went back inside the house cackling and you stood in front of Dallas, not sure if you wanted to hug him or push him away. Were you still mad at him or was the happiness from him being back enough? You couldn't tell. Looking up at him, you found him staring down at you. 

      "I ain't gonna leave again," he promised, "I missed you too much."

word count: 703