3. The Tavern

Hey y'all, thanks so much for all the views and the votes, I really appreciate it and I'm super happy to continue writing this. Finally we will meet Diluc in this chapter 🧎‍♀️

Pushing the wooden door to the tavern open took more effort than I expected, and I had to lean my body against it to fully open it. The first thing I noticed inside was the smell of sweet wine. The air was stuffy and almost everything was made out of wood. No one was inside, which was expected, as it was still the morning. 

The floorboards whined under my feet as I walked in and my eyes still had to adjust to the low lit lighting. I remember Jean telling me that I would have to meet the bartender and ask for a job, so I walked over to the bar. However, no one was there. I walked over to the room in the back, observing more of the tavern. No one was there either. I walked back to the bar and leaned forward, trying to see if anyone was hiding under, but my eyes watered as the smell of strong wine wafted up to my face. A bottle right underneath the hutch of the bar was open and hurting my eyes. I picked up the bottle and brought it close to my nose. It smelled pure and oaky, definitely much different from the type of alcohol in my world.

"If I were you, I would put that down, it's one of our expensive specialties," a voice said behind me. I froze in shock.

"You know if you're going to steal, at least do a better job of it," the voice said once more as I heard footsteps getting closer.

"No, I wasn't stealing.." I stuttered in a weak voice as I fumbled with the wine bottle, spilling part of it but managing to put it down. Once I had placed the bottle into its original spot someone took hold of both of my hands and held them behind my back, pushing me onto the bar counter. I wasn't strong enough to break free so I gave up on struggling. 

"I don't appreciate people taking my things without asking," the person said as they came closer to my face. They switched to holding my hands back with one hand and grabbed my chin with the other, thumb just under my lips, with the other fingers under my chin. They took my face and turned it toward themselves. 

It was too dark to take in all of their features, due to the lights still not being turned on, but I could tell from their strong jawline and strong eyes that they were a man. From what I could see, he was studying my face, almost as if he was taking in all of my features. Our faces were merely inches apart. I suddenly realized the suggestive position I was in, bent over on the bar counter, and a blush filled my entire face. 

He chuckled, "Shy, are we? Well its time to go darling, wouldn't want you taking the rest of my stock," he said as he let go of my chin and my hands, only to wrap both of them around the front of my waist. He lifted me into the air and started walking toward the door. I kicked around trying to get free.

"Wait! No I wasn't stealing I swear!" I shouted.  

"Yeah that's what they all say," he replied. 

His arms were starting to rise higher and higher up my torso and I could feel his long slender fingers right under my breasts. I immensely blushed and tried even harder to escape. The same door I struggled to open, he opened with a single pull in mere seconds with one hand, while still holding me up with the other. We stepped outside and he dropped me down onto the floor. I fell to my knees, a little disoriented. He clapped his hands, wiping the dust off and said, 

"Better not see you back here, or next time I won't be so gentle," he said calmly as he began to walk back into the tavern. I couldn't lose this chance that Jean gave me, I have to stand up for myself.

"Wait! Jean sent me!" I shouted, just as the door to the tavern was about to close. Luckily there was no one around except for a few drunkards from last night. Otherwise, I would have been beyond embarrassed. He kept the door open and stopped in his tracks. He paused for a moment and then said, 

"I don't associate with the knights, now leave," and began to close the door again. I jumped over to the door as it was closing and pushed it open with the rest of my strength. 

"Please just hear me out," I said in a straining voice, hanging onto the door. He paused again and stayed still for a moment. I could hear a sigh. 

"What do you want," he said reluctantly, still keeping his back toward me. I saw him walk around to turn all of the lights on. Now that I finally had a chance to speak, I found my throat dry and I couldn't rack my brain on what to say. I stuttered while trying to begin my sentence. I was just going to be blunt. I closed the door behind me and stood inside the tavern.

"I woke up in a field and I don't know where I am, where I came from, or anything. All I remember is my name." I realized how bizarre my story sounding now saying it out loud. He gave me a puzzled look. "I found Amber and she took me to Jean. She said to come to..Diluc I believe.  Do you know where I can find him?" I finished confidently. He once again stopped moving and turned around. 

"Diluc?" He said as he slowly walked closer. I was still unable to get a good picture of his face, as he was pretty far away from the light. "So then, what do you need from me?" I dropped my jaw. It was the same red haired man that caught me when I almost fell off off the wall. Seriously? This guy was Diluc. I honestly could not have had worse luck. 

"So have you finally recognized me then? Next time you should be more careful climbing up walls," he said patronizingly.

"Yeah I...sorry about that," I said with an awkward laugh. I finally had a chance to take in his appearance. He had long crimson hair, tied in a loose ponytail. He was wearing a long coat of sorts, embroidered with fine detail. The more striking part was his face. He looked so serious, and what I would imagine the definition of professional to be. He was the best looking person  I've seen so far since I've come here.

"You're staring," he said. I blushed.

"Oh, sorry..." I mumbled while looking down. 

"You never answered my question."

"Oh right! Jean said that if I came to you, you could give me a job.

"Well can you work?" He asked.

"Yes I think so?" I replied in a puzzled voice.

"What do you mean I think so?" He said in a sly tone, "Can you deliver drinks? Can you take orders? Can you be kind to a customer?" 

"Yes!" I stuttered. "Please give me work, I don't have anywhere else to go." I said in a pleading tone. He looked me straight in the eyes and then did a slow scan of my body, as if examining every curve and line with precise detail. He then returned his gaze to my eyes and locked his with mine. I was expecting him to look away but he didn't. I felt the urge to break the gaze first, but I felt like it would be..impolite? 

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Y/n."

"Okay y/n, you'll start as a waitress. I expect you to be ready to work here by tomorrow."

A smile filled my face. Finally, I had done something right.

"Thank you! I promise I won't disappoint." I replied in an enthusiastic tone. He replied with a grunt and walked right in front of me, just standing there. He stayed there for about 10 seconds looking straight down at me, gaze never wandering. He was almost 6 inches away from my face. I could smell his cologne, such a sweet and mature smell. It was so...relaxing.

"The door, y/n," 

"Oh! Sorry," I replied, completely flustered and embarrassed, as I realized I was still standing in front of the door. I hastily moved aside and he whipped it open and began to head out. 

"Go to the tailor, tell them you need a uniform for the Angels Share, they will be able to set you up with one. Tell them I will be paying," Diluc said, "Its just around the corner to the left." I nodded

"Right then, um goodbye," he mumbled as he walked away swiftly. I waved to him with a smile. I did a silent cheer in my head. I had gotten a job and was ready to work. Next step was to go to the tailor. Finally everything was coming together.

End of Chapter

Hey sorry this is a little rushed guys, I really wanted to give you a new chapter. Next one will be coming soon! <3