12. Neighbors Next Door

Alright and I'm back, sorry for lack of uploads. I've been at camp for the past three weeks but I'm gonna try to get this chapter out asap. Also thanks for all the support, its super cool that 13k of you have read this. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

-

-

Diluc Pov

"You know, if you're tired, you can sleep in the back until we're there," I said.

"Oh no I'm okay-"

"It'll be a more difficult journey if you're out of energy," I began, cutting them off, "It's fine, there's no reason for two people to be guiding a horse anyways." After pondering for a moment, they mumbled out a thanks and walked toward the middle of the roofed cart, weaving in between boxes and crates. Moments later, I could tell they had fallen asleep, with no trouble at all. I lingered my gaze for a moment before standing up, stripping off my coat and placing it on top of Y/N, doing my best not to awaken them, and creeped back to the front of the cart.

It wasn't a lie that our delivery would be more difficult if they were tired, but I couldn't deny that it wasn't the main reason for my urging. Maybe it was the company I enjoyed. Or more specifically their company, Or maybe it was the fact that I knew what it was like to be denied sleep and unable to focus the rest of the day. I convinced myself that must be the reason, to further push down the butterflies in my stomach,

Y/N POV

As much as I longed to stay in sleep, the shaking of the cart became too much and I opened my eyes. Surprisingly, it wasn't bright, considering that it was now probably later in the day when the sun would usually be out. When I lifted my head to peer out the cart roof, I saw grey clouds and fog rolling over the scenery. Diluc was still in the same place that he was when I fell asleep, and wasn't moving at all. Stretching my limbs, I stood up and stabilized myself before noticing the dark cloth falling off of my body. Upon further inspection, I realized it was Diluc's coat, which he must've draped over me when I was asleep. It's always the small acts of his kindness that make my day. Folding it neatly and placing it on top of his backpack, I walked over to the front. Upon hearing my footsteps, he turned his head to greet me.

"Good Morning," He said.

"So it's still morning then?" I responded.

"10 AM."

"Ah, sorry, didn't mean to sleep for so long."

"No, it's not trouble," he responded quietly. As much as he would like to deny the fact that it was no trouble, I could see the dark circles under his eyes and how every now and then his eyelids would fall shut. After some more debating in my head, I spoke.

"You seem tired, let me take over," I said.

"Hm? No It's okay, I feel fine.." he mumbled.

"No seriously, I got my break, now you get yours." I gave him an encouraging look. "It'll be fine, I just need to go straight right?"

He seemed to be contemplating whether or not to take a break, but the weariness finally won and he nodded. "When you start seeing mountains, wake me up," he said, standing up. He handed me the reins to the horse and went to the middle of the cart, in the area that I had previously slept in. He seemed to be as tired as I was earlier, as he fell asleep almost immediately, his coat draped over him like a blanket. I observed the way he slept so peacefully for a little while longer, before focusing on the path ahead. This was my favorite kind of weather. Cold enough to where I would have to wear thick clothes, but not unbearably cold. And the way the air feels crisp when you breathe it in, almost makes you want to just stand outside all day. Admiring the weather, I led us further and further down the path to Liyue.