11. The Delivery

Hello! Welcome back to another chapter B) thank you guys so much for all the comments and votes, i know this is just a cringy wattpad story but it feels nice that people are actually enjoying something that I make! Ty and enjoy!

-

-

Eventually, I was getting consistent with my bow and hitting the target on almost every shot. It got easier and easier, nurturing my confidence. Occasionally I looked off to the side at Diluc, who seemed fully immersed in his book, the wind blowing in his hair. He had this way of looking completely serene, as if he had not a single worry in the world. It made me jealous.

About ten minutes later, my arms cramped up so I placed my bow down, and sat down on the opposite side of the tree that Diluc was leaning against. The grass was cool and soft, and sitting in the shade relaxed my nerves as I let out a sigh of relief. It was silent for a while, only sounds of the nearby fisherman on the dock yelling orders and casting away their boats and the small thrushes dancing up in the trees. I sparked up a conversation first.

"What are you reading?" I asked. There was silence for a moment before Diluc responded.

"Legend of the Shattered Halberd, a gift from my father, that he collected on his travels." Diluc replied solemnly.

"What's it about?"

"Well you see..." Diluc paused, looking for the right words. "I don't exactly know how to explain it."

"Oh, that's fine," I replied, slightly disappointed. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the tree trunk, tired and relaxed. It was quiet for a moment again, painfully quiet before Diluc finally spoke up.

"I...will just read it to you then," He said. I lifted my head back up and opened my eyes in surprise.

"Oh, no it's okay-"

"I'll start from the beginning," Diluc said, cutting me off.

"I don't want to make you restart it," I said.

"It's alright," Diluc said quietly, "This is a book that I have read many, many times." There was a hint of sadness in his tone. And with that I was convinced, so I laid my head back against the tree, closed my eyes, and began to focus on the sound of Diluc's voice. He cleared his throat and began.

"In ancient times when Axis Mundi was unobstructed, there were nine realms, each a world of its own. The realm of humans was known as the Zhongzhou, while the gods reside in Shengxiao...." His voice coaxed the words with grace, as if dripped in honey before spoken. It sounded like he had been reading off of a script that was practiced over and over again until perfection. He never stuttered, nor made any unnecessary pauses. I see why so many people look up to him.

"'General? So the Great and Glorious is a military rank now, huh? I thought it was a civil office.' Mir responded with not a moment's hesitation.'" he continued on. As much as I tried to fight it, all of the training and exercises today had worn me out and I could feel my eyelids start to close. Diluc's voice was certainly no help to keep me awake. It was almost as if he was luring me to sleep. Before I could think more about the subject. I drifted off into a nap.

-

-

I grew more aware of the breeze against my body and the soft warmth from the sun as I began to wake up. I fluttered my eyes open to the familiar setting of the archery target and the lake in the distance. I was still leaning against the tree, however Diluc was no longer there. I hope I didn't sleep too long.

I stood up and grabbed my surprisingly heavy backpack and walked back through the walls' side gate and toward the tavern. I felt completely refreshed after that nap and I was excited to begin my work. As I walked by, many of the pop up shops were already closed, much to my surprise. I made it to the tavern and pulled open the heavy door, and was greeted by that familiar cozy aura. Diluc was pouring wine at the bar and Adam was nowhere to be seen.