10. Obliviate

{Wasn't sure how else to write this chapter so I took a leaf out of one of my favourite authors books! I'm a huge Karen McManus fan and wanted to give her style a try for this chapter! Hope you enjoy <3}

*Hermione*

Hermione looked up at the bricked walls that made up the foundations of her childhood home, the neatly trimmed hedges and trees lined the short driveway that led to the pale grey front door. The witch hovered on the driveway, memorising every last detail before she got her key out of her bag and walked into her muggle home for the very last time.

*Draco*

The wizard and professor sat in silence across from one another, Draco's unanswered and unasked questions hung in the air.

"Mr Malfoy, I have known you since you were shorter than your broomstick in first year, I can tell when you have a question or two on your mind." The old witch attempted a smile with less effort than Draco had thought it would take, it had almost seemed, motherly. He sighed, witnessing defeat and looked at his old Professor;

"What did Hermione have to do? How do you know where we are? What happened after we left? What has happened to Hogwarts?" His aim was to ask one too many questions and confuse the old witch, however, Draco had often underestimated Minerva McGonagall, who hadn't only heard and created answers to all the questions he'd asked and the ones he hadn't, but also noted his use of 'we' rather than 'I.'

*Hermione*

"Hermione is that you?" called out the second the sound of the key turning in the lock was loud enough to be distinguished by Hermione's parents and both had rushed into the hallway to embrace the daughter they had not heard directly from for almost a month. They had been visited by Ron, disguised as a muggle using Polyjuice potion to protect both muggle parents from the ever-looming threat of Voldemort, to assure them Hermione was safe and to show them the letters she had sent the boys.

"Hi Mum, Hi Dad" Hermione tried not to choke on her words, for she knew it could be the last time she got to call them that, or got to be in her home, or even get to see them. It was too dangerous for them to have the knowledge that they had a witch daughter, if any death eaters tracked them down and used legilimency they would be killed. Because of Hermione.

"Come in Minnie, we've both missed you, you must tell us everything!" the eager, loving looks on her parent's faces were more painful than any hex or curse Hermione could imagine. Even the way they said her baby nickname made her heart break. She knew if she prolonged this it would be worse for all three of them.

"I've missed you both too, I love you both" the witch smiled through the tears she could feel glazing over her eyes as she followed her parents into the living room.

"I love you too Minnie" both her parents sang in unison, an act they'd made a habit of since Hermione could talk. Hermione kept two paces back from her parents, wand drawn.

*Draco*

"That is for Miss Granger to tell you and you will do right by respecting her choice to tell you or not. Dumbledore told me of his task for Miss Granger but did not mention why it was necessary but judging from the look in your eye and the inky patches peeking from under your jumper Mr Malfoy, I have correctly pieced the story together for myself"

The witch paused to allow Draco to pull his jumper sleeve back down and shift uncomfortably in his seat before she continued "After you left the school mourned Albus' death greatly and we began to prepare for inevitable war and that is what also happened to Hogwarts, it has become a safe haven for those who are muggleborn and a fortress for all. And, Mr Malfoy, your parents have asked after you, multiple times, but I had to tell them I was unaware of your circumstances."