24. Sorry, Love

Despite the large double bed easily being able to fit a third person comfortably, Draco and Hermione curled up on one side of the bed. Draco craned his neck uncomfortably so that Hermione stayed comfortably asleep by his side, her head resting on his chest. His eyes kept flickering down to the witch nestled by his side, each time the lump in his throat rising and growing. He knew he didn't deserve her and he couldn't understand why she so happily slept by his side, knowing of the mark etched into his arm. As much as he hated him, he knew Hermione deserved to be with someone like Weasel – someone good. Draco knew that once she had finished what Dumbledore asked her to do, that he needed to let her go, she needed to let this episode in her life go.

Letting her go was the war Draco had tried to prepare himself for. But he'd never expected himself to need to prepare, he never expected to become so infatuated with another human being and her with him. It was then, looking at the witch glued to his side did he realise that losing her would be something he could never prepare for.

Being the son of Lucius Malfoy, Draco knew he didn't completely understand love. He didn't completely love his mother; she had sided with Lucius with almost everything and had been part of the reason Draco had become the monster he now thought he was. He couldn't say he loved his house-elf Mopsie, but he cared for her a lot for all she had done in his childhood and worried about that little elf all alone in that manor.

Draco stayed awake the whole night, watching the moon dip and the sun rise on what he knew had to be their last night together. After the sun rose, casting a golden light through the trees that bathed the grass outside their hotel room, the wizard gently nudged the witch beside him awake.

"C'mon Granger, let's get a move on." Draco muttered as the witch stirred, smiling up at her blonde companion before pulling herself into a sitting position.

"No breakfast in bed? Did your romance run out last night?" she mumbled sleepily and softly kissed his cheek. Draco's own mouth curled into a smirk as he stood up out of bed, turning away so the witch couldn't see the blush growing in his cheeks. Things between them had progressed quicker than either wizard had expected yet both knew that it was right. Draco knew he had always been possessive of people due to his childhood; he had everything he asked for cared for none of it. He had known even from a young age that a bond forged in love was more important than any broom or ticket to the Quidditch World Cup.

Not that he'd say this out-loud. His Malfoy ego still stood stronger than anything and Hermione may have been making headway in breaking him down, but this was the other war he'd been preparing for. He loved the witch, but he'd rather be crucio-ed fifty times before he let certain walls down.

"Sorry Love but we need to get going, if I'm gone any longer my parents will think I'm dead" Draco laughed until he realised what he'd call the witch behind him. He turned slowly to find her smiling, a pink blush growing along her cheeks that matched Draco's own.

"Love?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Sorry I-" Draco began to stutter before he remembered what he'd promised to himself just two minutes before. The wizard shrugged instead and banished the pink hue on his cheeks, "Would you prefer something else? Perhaps..."

"No, no, I like it, it's better than Granger at least" Hermione rushed quickly, partly worried at what nickname Draco would make up whilst he was teasing. "My parents call me Minnie because when I was little, I couldn't say my name properly and I loved Minnie Mouse." The witch started laughing at the memory and at Draco's confused and worried face, as though he should know who Minnie Mouse was.

The smile dwindled as Hermione realised that she would be the only one who did remember it, "They used to; I mean" she whispered and looked down at her trembling hands fidgeting on the duvet.

"Minnie... I like it." Draco smiled as he leant down and kissed the top of Hermione's forehead, gently wiping the tears before they rolled down her cheeks. "Memory loss isn't permanent, there are plenty of spells to counteract it. Weaslette is smart if I recall, she can help you. But right now, we need to get going, you can be back at the Burrow by tonight."

He was trying to reassure his witch and was confused when this made her cry harder. "Can't you just come with me Draco? If the Weasley's know that we are together and they know how I feel about you then they won't hate you. They love me and will be happy that I'm happy. With you." The witch pleaded, her eyes unmoving from her Slytherin as he sighed and sat crossed legged on the bed opposite her.

"If the Weasels knew that we were together then they'd check you for The Imperious Curse and probably kill me straight away. I have to go home, if I leave it any longer You-Know-Who will start searching for me himself. I failed to kill Dumbledore Love, he's not going to just let me walk free and I won't put you in the line of fire." Draco's eyes teared and he pulled Hermione into his lap, letting her sobs muffle against his bare chest.

"But... but."

"No Hermione, I'm not putting you in danger. I had this life chosen for me long ago and you still get to choose your life. You're going to go to the Weasels and then go find Potter and Gingerknob, okay? Promise me."

"I promise." Hermione stuttered and nodded her head, knowing there was no way this fight could go that she would win. "But I also promise to keep trying this after the war. I love you."

Draco opened his mouth to argue the fact that he might not be around after this war but quickly closed it again, knowing it wasn't the right time to be pessimistic.

"I love you more Minnie."

"Piss off" the witch smiled through teary eyes and slumped back against the wizard's chest.