13. Owl Block

A loud hoot broke Draco and Hermione's kiss. The witch's owl, Duffy, was perched on a thick tree trunk just outside the wards with two letters hanging from its beak. Both wizard's hearts beating out their chests, Hermione pulled away gently from Draco and shyly smiled up at him before unwinding her arms from his neck and going to get the letters from the tawny owl's little beak. Draco reluctantly let her go, mumbling "bloody owl" and allowing himself to smile once the witch's back was turned. Kissing Hermione had felt different to all the other girls he had kissed during his time at Hogwarts, she was like a breath of fresh air that made him glow from the inside out and he longed to kiss her again.

She was aggravating, she was a mudblood, she had a bird's nest for hair and was too smart for her own good. But she was perfect. And it made Draco infuriated and happy all at once.

Hermione took the letters from Duffy and stroked her soft little head before turning away and settling herself on the floor, propped up against a thick tree stump so she could read and reply to the letters before it got too dark for Duffy to find her way. Duffy was only a few years old, a Christmas present from Ron and Harry after they realised Crookshanks wasn't the best mailman, and still often took a long time to pass letters as she tended to get a little lost.

From the handwriting Hermione could tell one letter was from McGonagall and the other from Ginny. She had expected Draco to have gone back into the tent, similar to their previous affectionate interaction so was surprised when her Slytherin companion sat down beside her silently and simply looked at the landscape. Hermione smiled to herself, they might not have been speaking or touching, but this was a lot better than waking up in a cold bed alone.

She opened McGonagall's letter first, anxious to know the fate of Hogwarts;

Miss Granger,

I'm sorry to not have been there to comfort you on your return from your task. As I'm sure Mr Malfoy told you, Hogwarts went under attack shortly after your departure. A few death eaters and followers of You Know Who stormed Hogwarts to go after multiple muggle-borns we were still keeping at the castle. Unfortunately, we had a casualty – Colin Creevey was struck with the killing curse after attempting to pull another injured student to safety. The school have already decided to dedicate a feast to him on the anniversary of his death each year after the war. Whoever orchestrated the attack knew I was not on the school grounds and I fear for your and Mr Malfoy's safety so please move on from your present location and check your wards regularly. Do not respond for a while, I fear we are all being watched at Hogwarts.

Stay Safe,

Minerva McGonagall

Hermione smiled sadly at the memory of the small, blonde haired boy who followed Harry around like a lost puppy in their second year with his camera always at the ready. He was a muggle-born like Hermione and was too innocent to have been dragged into all of this, all of the children still at Hogwarts were too young and innocent to have to grow up in this world. He died a hero's death, trying to save another student – a true Gryffindor with a lion's courage. A single tear rolled down Hermione's cheek as she folded McGonagall's letter back into its envelope and turned to the second letter.

Mione,

We all miss you terribly. We are back at the Burrow now, including Harry. We are glad you are safe but we wish you could come home to us, the wedding is in 2 days, is there no way you could come home? We heard Hogwarts went under attack but that almost everyone is okay... Colin Creevey died and we thought you might like to know. Harry's pretty beaten up over Colin, feels responsible. Please come home or just let us know you are okay Mione, mum misses you as well – FRED GET OUT I'M WRITING TO MIONE! RON, I SWEAR IF YOU KEEP COMING IN, I WILL HEX YOU! HARRY GET HIM OUT!