16. Duffy

After silently holding one another for a few minutes Hermione pulled away as though she'd suddenly been burnt and sat up, pulling something out the back of her jean pocket. Draco's face looked much like Ron's every time Hermione looked over to check on him during exams at Hogwarts and would've made the witch laugh if she'd had a second to acknowledge it. Instead, she was too focused on the single bit of parchment that she'd pulled from her pocket.

"I can't believe I forgot about the darn letter that caused Greyback to spot us in the first place!" Hermione near-shouted as she tore open the parchment. "Duffy hooted louder and more often than normal meaning the letter was sent as an emergency! I can't believe I forgot about it until now."

"Duffy? What kind of name is that for an owl Granger? And give yourself some credit, you were walking through muggle London with a freshly broken ankle" Draco tried to laugh but the come down from adrenaline had caused his voice to waver slightly. Hermione looked a little offended,

"Duffy is the name of one of my favourite muggle poets; Carol Ann Duffy and still I shouldn't have forgotten, someone might be in trouble." The witch said as she tore open the parchment.

It was from Harry and Ron;

Hermione,

Good news first – Bill & Fleur loved your present so much we think Bill might've even cried in secret. Bad news - Death Eaters attacked us all at the wedding, we just about managed to get out, we apparated to Tottenham Court Road (we remembered how much you loved it here) and are laying low before we go hunting horcruxes. We haven't had word yet but it seems the Death Eaters were after me so I doubt anyone been hurt otherwise Ginny would've sent a Patronus so don't worry. We could do with your brain for hunting horcruxes, join us if you can. If not, this may be our last letter for a while, we can't risk someone getting a hold of this and our location. Don't reply.

Stay safe,

Ron and Harry

Hermione sighed in relief that her family were all alive, maybe not safe yet, but alive. She also managed a small smile at the idea of Bill Weasley shedding a tear over her gift to them. But with her back turned Draco mistook her relived sigh as one of defeat and grief,

"Granger, everything okay?" Draco asked for the second time that evening as he shifted so they were sat opposite one another on the bed.

"Death Eaters... attacked the wedding" Hermione stuttered, "Ron and Harry, there were in London tonight, about a mile away from where we apparated."

"Is that good or bad?" Draco asked as he held both her hands to stop them noticeably shaking,

"bad that their day was ruined, good no one was hurt, bad Ron and Harry were so close and I never saw them, good that they are okay" she debating with herself, trying to see the light of the situation, "but mostly good that neither of us managed to die tonight" Hermione laughed shakily.

Draco dropped his eyes down to their hands, "Granger, I'm sorry for getting angry earlier but... how did you know that was Greyback in the forest?"

Hermione stood still, she hadn't expected him to still be wondering about that small detail and she now cursed herself for letting it slip. She tightened the grip on his hands, knowing that in a moment he'd pull away in rage and anger at her lies and deceit.

"I-I..." she started, swallowing her guilt and worry. She had to tell him, and she knew eventually her use of legilimency on him would also come out of the woodwork. "I... I lied the night Dumbledore died... I saw it all happen" Hermione paused, wincing at Draco's sharp intake of breath, "I saw you, trying to kill Dumbledore."

She braced herself for Draco's mask of hatred to fix itself back into place and for the rage she knew would follow. Braced herself to not have his arms around her again or his lips to hers.