6- Vibing

"Best know if I woke up as a boy the first thing I'm doing is beating my meat then jeeting. You man love it too much for me not to see the hype" I said to Samuel as he played COD.

I'd told my mum I was at his house and it was like music to her ears, so I wasn't in a rush to leave.

"Who's 'you man'? We put God first over here" Samuel said doing the sign of the cross.

"So you're a v-"

"Yeah." He cut me off.

"Same"

"What? You were in a year relationship and nothing happened at least once?"

"Nope- that's probably why he was cheating on me to be honest. I guess I never really trusted him, and I wasn't tryna end up on one bait out page." I admitted.

"I respect that; too many people our age would give in to the peer pressure and that. All everyone wants nowadays is to beat"

"Mmhmm"

"So absolutely nothing except lipsing? Not even a little.." Samuel bopped his hand over his lower stomach.

I pushed him and he pushed me back, way harder making my head hit the pillow hard.

"It's not even funny" I said as we both laughed.

- [a week later]

It was the first day back to school and I couldn't be bothered to see anyone there; especially Tyrell. At least I had Jamila there, and now Samuel in my sociology class.

I went with a cute pinafore dress for my first fit back.

"New seating plan guys, please listen" Mr Johnson said.

Thank God I didn't have to still sit with Tyrell. Maybe he would put me next to Samuel.

"...And Tanisha, you'll sit there on your own"

Oh. Could be worse.

"Samuel, you will be sitting next to Jennifer"

Wow, he was on the other side of the room.

Throughout the lesson, I couldn't help but notice how much Samuel and Jennifer got along. He didn't turn back to me once. Was I...jealous?

All week they were getting closer and closer, but I couldn't say anything because we were just..friends.

I was halfway out the class on Friday when Tyrell stopped me to whisper, "I hear your boy and Jennifer are talking; maybe I won't have to do him like you did Samara"

I just pushed past him as I couldn't be bothered to entertain this.

When I got home, I got an incoming FaceTime call from Samuel. We hadn't talked as much since we went back to sixth form and I could guess why.

"Yo Tani you good?" Samuel asked, looking like he was getting ready.

"Yeah, you?"

"Yeah, I'm linking Jennifer tonight in like half an hour. You know the one in sociology?" I nodded, "we just started vibing from day one; you know she's Ghanaian as well? Anyway, I wanted to ask which top I should wear; I usually ask my bro but he's still at school." He asked holding up two tops.

"The white one." I answered, trying to put on a smile.

After the call ended, I sat there thinking to myself 'why did I friend zone someone I like?'. I had to go see him; if I didn't say anything now it could be too late.

"Hello Tanisha, are you okay? Samuel's in his room, about to go out." Mr Boateng answered the door, letting me in.

"Yeah, I just wanted to speak to him for a second" I said before making my way to his room.

"Tani? What are you doing here? I told you I'm going soon" Samuel asked as he sprayed some cologne.

"You can't go." I said, stepping closer to him.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't wanna be friends; I like you more than you know"

At that moment, I stood beneath him, looking up into his eyes. Samuel grabbed my chin, lowered his head, and kissed me. I felt a sense of relief as he picked me up, and laid me on his bed. After a few seconds, he stopped and got up.

"I'm gonna be late to meet Jennifer," he said putting on his trainers.

I gave him the most confused face.

"How are you gonna kiss me then still go on your date?"

"Same way you were bare going on about us being friends, then as soon as I vibe with a girl you're here forcing me to not go link her. You're not the only one who can be indecisive and play with feelings. Anyway let yourself out"

Samuel left me on his bed, feeling used. Maybe there was some truth to his statement, but he has to understand how I'm feeling. I didn't lead him on or anything; how could he do this to me?

An hour later, I was laying in my bed when I got an incoming call from Samuel. What could he possibly want? I declined it straight away, and put my phone onto do not disturb as I didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

I decided to have an early night and go to bed. My chest hung heavy, as if I'd been hit in the chest. I can't say I was heartbroken, but it sure felt like it.

——— vote, share, comment 🤍

Jennifer Frimpong, 17, Ghanaian