𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 | 𝐀 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭

The Year: 32 BBY

At first it was pain.

Pain like she had never felt before.

It was anguish.

But it wasn't hers.

It was Obi-Wan's.

As she looked upon the fire that was resting in front of her she felt so many people shield their thoughts from their fellow Jedi, knowing full well that if anyone's mental shields slipped for even a second then sorrow would fill the room. Master Qui-Gon was dead. And Obi-Wan had to watch.

Catelle had never truly known the late Jedi but in her two years of being at the temple she had learned that he was one of the most caring men she had ever met and his kindness had surely influenced his padawan. Looking up at the older boy stood next to her, she examined his face as if to look for any signs of sorrow like the ones she had felt. Obi-Wan looked down at his friend and rested his hand on her head as a sign of comfort, even though he was most likely the one who needed the most comfort.

He had been silent since he returned from his trip, not a word from him and no-one would tell her why. Even after she had pestered so many masters and knights nobody would give her an answer. Not even Master Windu would provide her with any truth- but then again that wasn't out of the ordinary. It wasn't until Master Plo pulled her aside in the halls that she was truly told the truth.

Master Obi-Wan and Master Qui-Gon were dispatched by Chancellor Valorum to settle a, what was supposed to be, a light dispute between Viceroy Nute Gunray and the rest of the Trade Federation. They however decided that it would be a good idea to attempt to kill two of the best peace keepers that the galaxy had. The original 'light dispute' instead it turned out to be an all out invasion on the planet of Naboo, stupid droid army. When Master Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan landed on Naboo after fleeing the trade ship, their lives as well as Queen Amidala's were soon threatened by the droid army settling itself in Theed. They escaped...somehow...but not very well apparently because they ran out of fuel (amateur mistake)and had to refuel on the sand ball that is Tatooine. There they met a boy, Catelle had heard Ben call him Anakin, who came back to Coruscant with them once they had refuelled. Qui-Gon wanted him to be trained as a Jedi but the council said no purely because he was too old- this confused Elle however as they seemed to be similar ages and she was trained. The rest of the story was a little foggy in the young girl's mind, she had stopped listening to her master due to the fact that her friend's grief was the loudest noise in the room. Perhaps not to everyone- but definitely to Catelle.

Oh, and not to forget a vital detail. The Sith made a sinister return after years of being hidden in the shadows, they costed Qui-Gon his life, Obi-Wan a master and Catelle a friend. She was told that she would lose people and that she couldn't let her attachments get in the way of her training, but how is one not supposed to be upset when a piece of your soul is untimely ripped from you. Surely one cannot be expected to celebrate a person's life without grieving before hand, it's how life works and that cannot and should not be changed or suppressed.

Soon after the funeral, everyone dispersed from the room in which Qui-Gon's body no longer laid. Everyone except Catelle and Obi-Wan. The two stood in silence next to each other as they looked upon the place where their friend once laid. His body had faded away leaving only his Jedi robes until they were soon burnt by the blazing fire that previously sat in the centre of the room.

"I'm...so sorry," The deafening silence was soon broken by Catelle's little voice. She looked up at her friend as tears brimmed his water line, but he wouldn't let them fall. He had to be strong. If not for himself...for her.