thirteen • ariel

on a monday night, lydia, stiles and i found ourself back in the sheriff department. we had sort of became a team, cracking codes and puzzles together and having GPAs that nearly soared past 4.0 we were the brains of the pack.

we were at the station, prepared to relay some information to stilinski. we had slipped into the office, choosing to be somewhere more quiet than out in the middle of everybody.

we had uncovered a startling fact. the benefactor was a banshee. while we were busy at the hospital, lydia was at her lake house. lydia asked her mother if she could spread her grandmother, lorraines ashes. she quickly found out the jar was filled with mountain ash in place of her grandmothers ashes. when lydias mother gave her lorraine's farewell note, she had realized the gibberish written on it was the same code used in the dead pool.

the only problem? lorraine martin was dead.

or so we thought.

"it's not just that she could be alive," stiles began.

lydia sighed, adding, "if would be that she had to fake her death."

stilinski shut the door of his office, turning towards us with wide eyes.

"lorraine martin, your grandmother, faked her death?" he clarified, looking to us with knitted eyebrows.

"definitely," stiles replied.

"maybe," i corrected. "we still don't know for sure."

stiles sighed, rolling his shoulders. "more than likely, yes."

stilinski hummed, crossing his arms. "i'm guessing you have a story to back this up."

we each shared a nervous glance, lydia speaking up, "she might be helping the benefactor."

"or is the benefactor."

"all we know at this point is that she wrote down part of the code before she died," i revealed, shrugging. i couldn't even begin to process the idea of lydias own grandmother creating a hit list with her own granddaughters name on it, or even helping someone do so.

his eyebrows shot up, voicing, "that sounds like a story worth hearing."

before we got farther into it, lydia made a note to voice that parrish had been with us on many expeditions. he had helped us at eichen house, and was also worth five million dollars. he should know, too.

stilinski nodded, throwing open the door to his office and called out to his deputies, "anybody seen parrish? haigh?"

i watched through the window as parrish's partner glanced up and shrugged, shaking his head. the look on his face set my stomach into a pile of knots. it didn't feel right. i didn't know how to place it, but over the the years i had gotten pretty good at telling when someone was lying or trying to hide something. he was.

the only question was what?

stilinski shut the door, turning to face us once more. i looked back to haigh, the deputy looking up at me as well. my eyes narrowed slightly, eyebrows furrowing. the deputy looked back to his computer, focusing on the screen.

my friends voices blurred together as i continued to stare him down. a funny feeling settled in my stomach.

something was wrong.

movement caught my eye, my sight lingering over to catch what it was. jordan parrish pushed open the doors to the station, completely naked. my jaw dropped as i took in the sight, but not for the reasons you would think.

his entire body looked as if it had been burnt. it was almost as if it were charred, scorched, even. his skin was peeling, black and ashen. it was as if someone had literally lit him on fire. his eyes were filled with rage, dead set on something.