thirty-one • the truth comes out

i slowly entered the back examination room. my eyes landed on liam and hayden, the two huddled in a corner. hayden was laid in front of him, her back against his chest. theo was crouched in front of him and scott was stood just in front of me, only just entering the room himself.

liam looked up at us, panic written on his face. "she's getting worse. i think she's dying."

"it's gotta be some kind of mercury poisoning," theo added.

"scott, remember what you promised me," liam spoke, staring at scott with wide eyes. "you said you'd do everything you could to save her. if she's a real werewolf, we can save her. you gotta give her the bite."

hayden moaned in pain, gripping her stomach. i slowly stepped back. my arms wrapping around myself once more. i was shivering, freezing cold from the rain that had drenched me. i stared at liam with a blank look, the boy's eyes on scott as he pleaded with him.

it was all becoming too much. for scott, for me, for all of us.

"no," scott replied after a moment. his eyes were locked on liam, shaking his head lightly. liam's eyes were wide, the boy growing angry. he handed hayden off to theo, standing up and moving towards scott.

"what do you mean 'no'?" liam asked angrily.

"liam, look at her," scott replied, gesturing to hayden. "she's too weak. it'll kill her. we don't even know what the mercury's doing to her. we don't even know if it is actually mercury. this can't be the only way to save her life."

"it saved mine," liam bit back, confused as to why scott wouldn't do this one thing.

scott blinked, almost taken aback. i shook my head, stepping forward.

"that was different." i spoke, "you were hanging off a ledge."

"you weren't even there," liam snapped, his eyes moving quickly to me. "you're never there!" my jaw fell open, my eyes wide.

my lips opened and closed, trying to find the words but i couldn't, "liam-"

he shook his head, scoffing before turning to scott once more. "you promised," he whispered, "you said you'd do everything you could."

"which is why i'm not doing to do something i think is going to kill her." his breathing hitched, picking up. he gasped, trying to inhale some air into his lungs. "there has to be..." another gasp, "there has to..."

"he needs his inhaler," i muttered. while i was angry with scott what had happened moments prior, i was still worried. he needed his inhaler, and he needed it now.

"scott," theo called from his place by hayden. he dug into his jacket, pulling out an inhaler. he tossed it to scott, the boy catching it. he inhaled deeply, his body relaxing.

scott stared at liam once again, "there's another way to save her."

"guys," theo called again, "i don't know what the statistics are for surviving a wolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this. we need to do something."

scott called his mom, hoping she could do something. we all waited in silence. liam was say back with hayden, holding onto her. i was standing by the doorway, my back facing away from the others.

my hand was raised to my lips, biting nervously on my nails. my eyes were glued to the floor. i wasn't even sure how much time had passed, i didn't care. there was so much on my mind, i didn't even know what to focus on. the lights above of us were flickering, and i squeezed my eyes shut.

slowly, i walked out of the room. taking a seat in the waiting room, i had my eyes closed. i tried to calm myself down, slow my breathing.

i knew that when i was too focused on my emotions, things like lights flickering happened. if i was losing control, it would happen. if i had no control, it happened. right now, i was focusing on too many things at once and my emotions, my mind, were running wild. i didn't know what to do. it was all happening so fast.