forty-two • tell me it was just a dream

after i had snapped out of the state shock i was in, melody was explaining everything she found out. everything isaac told her, the boy had done his own research. after she assured me ten times she was okay, i had sent her off to try and call isaac again to see what else he knew. next, i was on the phone with lydia. she told me she had a feeling and i replied by telling her i would explain later but that i was okay for the most part. i told her to keep doing whatever it was she was doing with argent and parrish and to stay on track with that. after i had assured liam i was okay about twenty-five times, i had sent him off to go find mason with hayden.

now, i found myself at scott's house an hour later. i was stood outside his bedroom, my eyes on the ground as i leaned against the wall. kira was inside the room with scott, tending to the wounds he received from trying to face against the beast. at first, i had told the others it would probably be best that i went home and spoke to my mom, or just stayed away from awhile. however, they were all adamant in keeping me close.

"you shouldn't want me around right now," i said quietly, lifting my gaze to look at stiles. the boy turned away from facing into scotts room and diverted his attention to me.

"well, i do." he said.

"i hurt you, stiles."

"i'm fine." he assured, stepping closer to me. i shook my head, stepping back.

"i slammed you into a wall of metal lockers," i argued.

"you didn't mean to," he said softly, reaching forward and taking my shaking hand in his, tugging me closer.

"what if i did?" i asked, my voice barely above a whisper. i looked up at him with teary eyes. i remembered how i felt when i choked melody, when i slammed stiles into the lockers. the power i had felt good, i felt in charge. i felt unstoppable. a part of me was itching to use it once again.

stiles shook his head, the boy adamant, "you didn't. i saw the look on your face, in your eyes. that wasn't you, liv."

i was silent for a moment, thinking over what to say. i was fighting against the darkness, i had been trying so hard to win. but i wasn't, i was failing. it was beating me.

"i'm losing the battle, stiles."

stiles looked inside scotts room, a sigh escaping his lips. he sent a look to kira before pulling the door shut. he made a move to lead me away, probably downstairs so that we could talk, but the boy was jumping in his spot as his eyes landed on something behind me. i turned around, eyes landing on braeden and malia at the end of the hallway by the stairs.

"mal?" i furrowed my eyebrows as i looked at her, cocking my head to the side as i looked between the werecoyote and the hunter. "what is it?"

stiles approached them first, noticing the strange look the two were giving us, "what? what did i do?"

"tell them," braeden ordered malia, nodding her head towards us.

"you know how my mother wants to kill me?" i nodded slowly, my eyebrows furrowing. "i think she want to kill you guys, too."

stiles and i shared looks of alarm, "okay- uh, that's slightly disconcerting. i should probably have a gun."

my eyes widened as i looked at stiles, "you? have a gun?"

"i'm not giving you a gun." braeden agreed.

"you have a gun," stiles argued. "the desert wolf, who is trying kill both me and olivia, has a gun. i think i should probably have a gun."

braeden and malia looked over at me, silently asking my thoughts. i raised my hands in mock surrender, taking a step back. braeden shrugged, reaching in the back of her waistband to pull out a large handgun. removing the magazine, she held both in her hands for stiles to see. then, she tossed the empty hand gun in his direction, and we watched as he fumbled with it, the gun clattering around as he failed to catch it. it eventually fell to the ground, falling down a couple of steps.