twenty-two • signatures and stake outs

rushing over to our table at the library, stiles was smacking down two sheets of paper. scott, kira, malia and i all glanced up from our homework confused. we each shared a look, mentally preparing ourselves for whatever stiles was about to go on about.

"so you found something?" scott questioned.

stiles nodded. "another signature. this is theo's dads signature on a speeding ticket from eight years ago," he explained, pointing to the white paper and then a green one. "and this is his dads signature on a transfer form to beacon hills high school from just a few days ago."

"how did you get his transfer form?" kira inquired.

"did you break into the administration office?" scott added.

"no i did not break into the administration office," stiles denied, shaking his head. we each gave him a blank stare, none of us buying it.

"yeah, and my ex-boyfriend didn't ignore me for a week and run off to paris right after my best friend died," i replied, looking down at my biology textbook casually as i shrugged

stiles let out a sigh. "okay, i might have broken into the administration office."

"the first step to recovery is admitting your problem," i joked, glancing up at him.

"can we just focus on the signatures please?" he begged, gesturing towards the papers. i let out a sigh, shutting my textbook and directing my attention to the signatures. "they're different."

"they're sort of different." malia nodded.

"they're completely different," stiles corrected. "come on. look. the garlands don't even match, the undulations of the sinuous stroke are totally off. and look, look at this." he traced his fingers over the signatures as he spoke, "perfect example of the criminal tremor."

"so..." kira trailed off, knitting her brows together. "theo is theo, but his parents aren't his parents?"

"someone's not someone," stiles clarified. "and when i figure out who that someone really is, someone's in big trouble."

"but no ones done anything wrong," scott pointed out, still not understanding why stiles was on theo's case.

"yet," stiles replied, his voice firm and his face serious. "if theos parents are both psychotic killers, then obviously we should not trust him, right?" i winced, my eyes slowly wandering to malia.

"my parents are peter and the desert wolf."

"okay," stiles drawled out, rubbing at his forehead. "it's fine. it's fine." he reached forward, gathering his papers and muttering out, "you know what? i'll just- i'll figure this out myself, right? i don't need you, or you, or you, or you." he pointed to us individually before marching off. "i don't need anyone!"

my lips parted in shock and my eyes widened at his words. i stared at the closed doors of the library, in slightly disbelief over his words. i could feel my friends' eyes on me as they watched my movements. soon enough, i let out a soft laugh and shook my head.

"that was kind of harsh." malia muttered, "are you okay?"

i smiled softly, holding up a finger and cocking my head to the side. "just wait for it."

as if on cue, stiles was marching back into the library. he quickly made his way over, his eyes locking on mine. my eyebrows rose as i awaited his words, leaning forward slightly on the table.

"that was a total lie," he admitted, shaking his head. "i do need you," he added, pointing towards me.

"that's what i thought," i replied, sitting back in my chair.