02

CHAPTER II:

❄︎ A FROSTY ENCOUNTER ❄︎

"i've never felt a feeling of comfort"
___________

Riven

The image of the man clawed apart was etched in his mind. So much blood, a face barely distinguishable, the most deepest of gashes, and his flesh torn apart.

He shook his head and tried to think of something else. Dogs, cats – no – they were probably going to end up like that man. Training – no – he was only going to be beaten in a match... again.

He opened his bedside drawer, taking out a flask filled with alcohol. It couldn't hurt, right?

The door opened. His roommate walked in – the better one of the two in almost every aspect. He was the son of a war hero. If that didn't say it all, he was the good student, good fighter, okay looks, and loved by all.

"Riv, come on," he said with a sigh. "It's only the first day."

"The first day and it's already shit," Riven replied.

Then suddenly, he remembered the girl he met earlier that day after seeing his friend.

"I did meet some cute girl though," Riven said. "Thinking about it now, she feels oddly familiar."

"And you told me to stop being a perv," Sky remarked with a smirk.

"I'm serious, Sky," Riven told him. "She didn't feel like a total stranger. Kind of felt more like... an old friend."

"Well, you'll probably see her at the orientation party," said Sky, though he was unsure if he could allow someone to be with Riven and end up just like him – always high.

Demi

After much consideration, I headed for the courtyard where the orientation party was being held. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But as I walked on the second floor, there was already so much noise. I halted, looking at it from above, analyzing the scene. There were a whole lot of people.

There were Fire Fairies, Earth Fairies, Water Fairies, Light Fairies, and Air Fairies, all in their respective little groups. There were the popular ones, the cool ones, and the sad little nerds who hung out at the buffet table. What else could they do but pretend they were grabbing food for friends when in reality, they were eating to hide their loneliness... Unhealthy.

I noticed a few people look up at me. They stared with their piercing, judgmental eyes, and then turned back to their friends, whispering words. If only I could hear what they were saying. Then again, that may not be a good idea. My heart began to race and I felt the atmosphere around me grow cold.

"Nope," I said quietly to myself. "This was a bad idea."

"Didn't really think you were a party girl," said a voice.

Standing in the way of where she was going to walk was Riven. He looked carefree, as if no one could touch him – like he would never allow it to happen. The way he held himself made him seem like he didn't care about what anyone thought.

Must be nice...

"And I get the vibe you are," I responded. "Have you been drinking?"

"Depends," he replied. "Do you have a problem with that?"

What I was going to say was yes. How could anyone be drinking in such an open space where the professors could see them?

"No," I found myself saying.