18

CHAPTER XVIII

❄︎ BARRICADES ❄︎

"This time, I wasn't putting up a wall to protect myself, but my friends"
___________

Demi

"He'll get erratic without Zanbaq," Terra informed. "We need to get out."

"Like that wasn't obvious," I muttered.

"Are you just going to stand there creating snowflakes?" she remarked, looking at me.

"Well, it's not like I can help it," I said back, angry.

"Let's all just calm down," said Aisha.

"Don't tell us to calm down, you rat," Stella snarled.

"Guys! Please!" Musa said in a raised voice.

I looked at her, suddenly feeling sorry. She was feeling everything we were feeling on top of her own emotions. We weren't helping.

There was a banging on the door. I stood up, ready to fight whatever was on the other end. Terra and Stella had joined me, raising their hands cautiously. The door continued to rattle. Then, as it opened, I fired a beam of ice.

"Uh, hi?" said Sky, standing up straighter from ducking.

"Oh, God, I'm so sorry," I apologized, rushing to hug Sky. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah," he nodded as we pulled away.

"I have to tell you something," I told him. "It's important."

"Guys," Terra called.

I turned around as Aisha and Bloom tried helping Sam stand.

"We have to get help."

"Oh, shit... "

"He said there's a Burned One at the school," Musa informed.

"We need to get him to the courtyard," Sky said. "They're barricading it off. We'll be safe there."

"Wait— " I called, stopping myself.

"We can't wait," said Sky, looking back at me.

"Riven – what happened to him?" I asked. "Where is he? I— "

Sky pulled me back from going off course and said, "He's probably back at the courtyard. You'll find him there."

"But— "

"Demi, one of my priorities is keeping you safe," Sky told me. "We have to go."

I sighed and followed him. He picked up Sam from Bloom and Aisha and we rushed down the stairs to the courtyard.

From the second floor, I scanned the scene below. People were gearing up, securing the castle, and I found a table full of ingredients and things for antidotes. A healing station in other words.

"There!" I pointed, finding Harvey.

"Dad!" Terra called as Sky heaved Sam's body on a table.

"Sam!" he exclaimed in shock. "I need Zanbaq now!" Harvey ordered.

"I tried to heal him, but the wound is much more deadly," I explained as he examined his son's wounds.