03

CHAPTER III

❄︎ THE GUARDIAN ❄︎

"they never ask for our opinions"
____________

Sky

A snowflake had landed into his drink. Somehow, it was snowing. Odd.

"Is someone making it snow?" Terra questioned.

They looked around. Maybe someone was doing a trick to make it snow, but no one was moving. They all were standing still, looking towards the center of the courtyard.

Then, there was a girl's terrified shriek. Sky shoved his drink to some guy and the two made their way through to the center to see sharp icicles charging at a girl.

Thanks to another onlooker hoping to stop the icicles from impaling the Fire Fairy, Sky obtained a shield. He ran in front of her, the ice hitting the shield instead.

"Demi?!" Terra exclaimed in shock, quickly running over.

"That's enough," said Sky to everyone. "As you were."

"Demi, what were you doing?" Terra asked, horrified.

"Demi?" Sky muttered as he walked over.

"Sorry, I-I didn't mean to," Demi said quickly. "I couldn't stop... "

Her glowing blue eyes turned back to their original colour. That was when Sky recognized her. He was one hundred percent positive.

"Demi?" Sky spoke.

"Shit," she muttered, and he embraced her in a hug.

"How are you here?" he asked, pulling away.

Riven had never seen Sky hug any other girl besides Stella. Whatever their relationship, Riven was sure they were close. He even detected some tears in Sky's eyes.

"Sorry," Riven cut in. "You two know each other?"

"My sister, Riv," Sky told him.

"Technically, we're not siblings," Demi corrected.

Sky looked down at her and said, "Technically, you're dead."

Sometimes, I wish I were...

"It's been four years, Demi," Sky went on. "We found your body... "

Sky was still in shock and remembered who else would have been delighted to see her again. It had been four long years; four long years thinking she was dead.

"Silva, he'll be so glad to see you," said Sky.

"No offense, but the only reason I came back here was that Miss Dowling said I'd never see you or Silva," Demi said, and Sky was hurt by that comment. "That I'd stay in the Fairy Hall."

"Demi, I'm your brother. Why wouldn't— "

"Whose brother are you?" asked Stella who walked beside us. "Oh, it's the cold stone Ice Queen."

"And I would have assumed you had a bright personality," Demi retorted. "... if we're going off our magic. Unfortunately, I was wrong."

"Stella, you may wanna be more polite," Riven warned with a smile. "Wouldn't want to get on bad terms with Sky's little sister, now would you?"

"Sister?" Stella questioned, turning to Sky. "I thought she was dead."

And in the confusion – Terra trying to explain it all to Stella and Sky scolding Riven – Demi slipped away into the shadows.