The Shadow of You (Vol. 5)

Hello hi I know I say this every time but this chapter is disgusting I hate it I will go cry in a corner now

This is a filler chapter so it's more focused on the events and not the writing T-T I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry

•••

Tomorrow at this time, the fate of cultivation would be decided through Yin and bloodshed, corpses and cultivators. Men would launch an assault against evil and fell the sun of yesterday so tomorrow's may rise. The Sunshot Campaign's final conflict was at their heels.

But Wei WuXian's greatest battle was tonight.

He needed to find the real mole before it burrowed deep beneath the ground. After tomorrow, Wei WuXian feared he would never be able to dig it up. Lan WangJi did not deserve a life of suspicion and accusations. Wei WuXian wouldn't let that happen.

Even if he could not be by his soulmate's side, he would still stand at his back and support him.

Lan Zhan, I'll protect you no matter what.

Around midnight, Wei WuXian's patience was rewarded. He'd been watching the camp's gate from the outside, leant against a fir tree and humming street music to stay awake, when a white-robed man slipped out of the encampment and into the dense forest.

Wei WuXian jumped atop a branch and, hiding among the bushy summer leaves, squinted for a better look.

Standing stagnant in the light of the moon, he was able to glimpse the the man's face in more detail. He was good-looking in an unremarkable way. Thin lips gave him a constant look of brooding, but his eyes were fine and slender like a fox, and both of his eyebrows were plucked without fault. Wei WuXian thought he looked familiar. However, he didn't have time to think about it as a hooded figure was approaching.

He was cloaked in the same black robes as the Wens who'd ambushed him in Yiling.

Wei WuXian's nose scrunched. In an instant, he was fighting to keep clouds of resent close to his body. If ChenQing wasn't a spiritual instrument, it would have splintered in his bone white fist.

They exchanged a few words he couldn't hear before the traitor pulled out what Wei WuXian recognized as battle plans and marked maps from today's conference. Shit! He hadn't been anticipating a fight, but if Sect Leader Wen got ahold of those, the Sunshot Campaign would fall.

Wei WuXian leapt down from his perch. He landed gentle as a shrew in the underbrush, not stirring even a dewdrop.

The man in white startled. His thumb moved to the cross-guard of his sword. Pushing up, he slid the metallic blade a shade from its sheath and demanded, "Who are you?"