31. Dances

Lydia had snapped her fingers and music began playing.

Draco led Harry, being far more versed in ballroom than the elf was. He didn't say a thing as Harry occasionally stepped on his toes, though the occasional lean to make comments on Hermione's remarkable patience with Ron--who was far worse than Harry--was made. Draco held him close and Harry gently put his head against Draco's shoulder. It was a tender moment.

"Training for the ballet, Malfoy?" Harry murmured a few minutes into the dance. Draco's expression was comical and Harry could hear Ron's own laughter just from the expression that Draco wore.

"You just had to ruin the moment, didn't you?"

"You just make it so easy," Harry teased. Draco rolled his eyes with a smile and continued the dance without anymore comments.

The song ended and Fred switched with his twin. Ron and Hermione took a break, giggling lightly to themselves over their disasterous dance. Raelyn took Nico's place alongside Lydia, dancing far more elegantly with the natural grace of an elf. Nico offered a dance to Narcissa, would took it with a grin, one reminiscent of teenaged playfulness. Draco had only ever seen a sadder version of that smile, and only ever when Rem was brought up.

Narcissa was full blown beaming by the first spin, quiet mutterings of inside jokes between her and Nico. The song was far more fast paced and upbeat this time round so the movements were allowed a bit more easygoing playfulness to them. Draco's eyes drifted to his adoptive fathers, Lucius grinning as he trapped his mate on the dance floor, Severus rolling his eyes but not arguing.

It was too soon when the song ended in Draco's mind. His mother's pure beam was not an often sight.

"If I may steal my brother from you," Killian said, dragging Draco from his thoughts. He nodded, moving out of the way for Killian to take his place. Harry grinned impossibly wide before stretching up on his tip toes to whisper something in elvish in his brother's ear. Nico, who had been standing close, choked out laughter at the same time as Killian did.

"Never say that in English," Killian wheezed. Harry looked proud of his little joke as everyone who hadn't heard or didn't understand it looked on with confusion.

The music began and Draco watched with curiousity as Killian leaned down to mumble something in elvish to his brother.

The non elves left the dance floor and the elves took center. Nico with Raelyn, Killian with Harry, and Lydia was the exception with Lexsaidh. The three groups performed an unfamiliar dance to the tune, magic starting to dance at their feet. Light streams of golden light looped around their feet, the slow speed of the dance picking up speed little by little as the magic grew a bit more wild, yet still controlled by the elves. Rings of gold lined their irises and the audience was put under a trance like state. The three groups of dancers danced in a large circle and in the middle of that circle formed a large tree made out of streams of gold. The branches reached out over the audience, golden leaves brushing the heads of everyone.

"It's a protection and connection dance. Each of us should take a leaf and put it under your tongue," Val instructed quietly. Everyone abided, still in more of a trance-like state but entirely aware of what was going on.

"What does it do?" Tonks whispered after doing as instructed.

"It establishes your familiarity with the elves so if needed, you can go to the elves and they will offer aid. That's the connection part of it. It also establishes protection from memory tampering spells, as we've obviously been having difficulty with those as of late," Val explained. The group nodded in understanding. "Has everyone taken a leaf?"

Another nod.

"That was the protection part that you have solidified. In a few seconds, a cherry-like fruit will grow and you want to eat that and then return the pit to the base of the tree in the afterimages after they finish dancing, that will establish the connection."

The group nodded once again. As Val said, cherries of golden light formed above their heads. They ate the cherries, surprised at the sweet taste before taking the pit from their mouths. A few minutes after that, the dancing came to a slow stop and the group took their seeds to the base of the tree, all watching with awe as the base tendrils reached up and took the pits, taking them into the base as the tree began to fade.

"Huh," Bill said, not really sure what to make of it.

"How articulate," Fleur teased gently.

The elves joined the group after a moment and Nico took charge.

"You should be able to enter elven territory now if you ever need help. The barrier guards will recognize the mark left behind and let you in without question."

"There was also something said about memory protection?" Remus inquired.

"Yes," Raelyn replied. "Dumbledore seems to be fond of adjusting your memories to fit his narrative and we can't have that if we want to actually succeed. It's also added protection if he finds out about this, he can't change your memories no matter how hard he tries to get you to turn against us. He can only find out by outside sources because of this protection as well, all of our memories are locked from his view and safe."

"Remus, if I may speak with you in private a moment," Nico asked the werewolf.

Everyone resumed the party as Nico led Remus out of the room. Harry's curiousity tugged at his mind but he was pulled away from it by Lexsaidh.

"You've been teaching him, right Kil?" Lexsaidh asked, patting Harry's head.

"I have," Killian said, slinging an arm over Harry's shoulder.

"Your first spell dance was fantastically done, Harry. Killian's first spell dance was an absolute disaster."

Killian smacked the back of Lexsaidh's head.

"You promised to never bring that up again."

Lexsaidh stuck her tongue out while rubbing the back of her head.