26. Learning Through Pain

A cold breeze brushed over the flattened peak to chill the sweat of the mortal who stood before a goddess. She vanished without warning, using but a fraction of her power to appear before the mortal, striking her square in the jaw without a breath to spare.

"Come on now dear, chin up!" Rixacaeles taunted, watching Allura crash to her hands and knees with blood spilling from her mouth.

"Ehnh!" Rune cheered for Allura from the sidelines as she forced herself to her feet, wiping the blood from her mouth and smearing it across her face.

"That was a cheap shot," Allura grumbled while retrieving her sword, and she rolled her shoulders with a tilt of her head as she straightened herself out.

"It's been over three years now darling," Rixacaeles teased, "Your technique and skill are... well, impeccable, but face it, no one fights fair in the real world, and it's time I teach you that!" she sang before appearing behind Allura, and she swiftly kicked her in the back without mercy, sending the teen to the ground once again.

"You're really-"

"Really what?" Rixacaeles toyed with her as she stomped her boot down between Allura's shoulders, pinning her to the cold stone, "Really pissing you off?" she taunted playfully before releasing her with a laugh. "If you think you are pissed now, just wait 'till we work on your fears."

Three years had passed since Allura had joined Rixacaeles, and nearly every day had been relentlessly harsh with no lack of pain, but the goddess was careful. Rixacaeles meticulously cared for Allura's health by feeding her well, treating her injuries, and giving her the time she needed to heal physically or mentally.

The goddess cared for every aspect of the girl with an understanding of how important a mortal's mental state was to their resolve in battle. The care and attention did not solve all of Allura's struggles, however. Flora was impossibly far from her, and Allura was nearly blind to how she fared, but once in a blue moon, another god came to share his sight to put her at ease.

"I think that's enough for tonight," Rixacaeles concluded while Allura panted on the ground, "We will take the next few days for you to recover as well," she hummed before taking her leave of the peak.

Allura reveled in the relief of the cold stone beneath her, her gaze distantly watching the sky of wisping clouds for a few moments before she allowed her eyes to fall shut with a deep sigh.

"I do not believe that Lady Rixacaeles would approve of you sleeping here," a voice hooted.

"Since when is Rixacaeles a lady?" Allura joked while remaining still, unwilling to move.

"True... Anywho, would you like to take a peek at you know who?"

"You know I do, Visushio," Allura found some energy in her eagerness, and she staggered to her feet to face the god whose owlish head was still cocked in question.

More owl than human was the god with the snow-white feathers adorning him and graceful ones for flight extended from his arms which ended in talons like his feet. Even the curve of his beak was elegant like the moon, whose light illuminated his feathers in a faux glow.

"Let's see what young Flora is doing then," he hummed as Allura joined him, and he held out a taloned-hand with whispers of light pooling in it, summoning a smooth silver orb.

A light matching the orb shimmered over it before it gave way to dim and dark colors, dutifully painting the scene in which Flora sat within. The pink-haired girl was slumped against her bedroom wall where her bed was set. She slumbered under her books and assignments that blanketed her and the rest of the scene.

"I miss her," the confession fell just as heavily from Allura's lips as the countless times before since she had started her training. A sigh escaped with her exhaustion creeping up again, and she stepped away from the God of Sight, stretching as he de-summoned the orb.

"Rixacaeles will take you back," he gently reminded her, and Allura fell still as her eyes drifted to the moon with longing whispering within them, but her resolve did not falter.

"I know... but then I would never finish my training," Allura whispered, and she turned her focus to the god, "She said she'd take me back when she finished my training, and any sooner would result in an end to my training," she repeated Rixacaeles's warning with her gaze returning to the moon, "She doesn't have time for one who is not commited."

"That does sound like Rixa," Visushio relented, "Anywho, I must be off. Goodluck with your training, Allura, and farewell Monsieur Rune."

"Ehnhhh!" Rune squeaked with a slow wave as Visushio took to the sky.