13. Wavering Flame

The rain seemed to follow Axis as he dragged his feet through the mud, aimlessly ambling through the dark, desolate woods that engulfed him. The chill of the rain threatened his every step, but the heat of his soul kept the cold at bay.

        "I hate the rain," he grumbled as a flame flicked over his boot to singe the grass, but was instantly extinguished. "Where am I anyways?" he pressed as he looked to the sky, allowing for the rain to pour down his face.

        'MONSTER!' a past victim screamed in his head.

        'HOW COULD YOU?!' another echoed, and he clenched his fist as more flames flickered over him.

        'HE'S AWAKE! KILL HIM!' the voices continued to haunt him as his flames grew chaotic, sizzling in the rain.

        'Asshole.' her voice rang through the discourse, pausing his flames. 'I'm sorry,' she had apologized, and his flames slowly lessened. 'I shouldn't have shoved you...'

        "She noticed..." he whispered as his flames disappeared, and he looked to the fresh scar on his side before his eyes found the hand she once held, opening it slowly.

"He's thinking of her again..." Larsolis groaned.

        'Come on, I can help.' her voice hummed sweetly in his head.

"Why does the thought of her calm him so quickly?" Larsolis pressed.

        "Why?" a tremor flickered in his voice before his hand clenched into a fist. "Why would you help?!" he growled with flames flickering over him once more. "WHY?!.... Why.... why didn't I tell you my name...?" he questioned as his voice trailed off into a whisper.

"He shouldn't have pushed her away." Sanocuro commented, "Allura could have saved him from his broken mind."

"Allura?" Larsolis's curiosity peaked, "What do you know of the girl, Sanocuro?"

"If you try to rebuild a broken house with a cracked beam, both will fall." Viserus warned.

"Precisely, Viserus." Sanocuro agreed.

"You are both insufferable." Larsolis griped.

        Thunder rolled through the clouds like laughter causing Axis to jump slightly before he pushed out a heavy sigh, and he continued his aimless path.